8: Kamalla: New Guy

"So, you're sure he's doing fine?" Zeeona asks doubtfully.

I nod forcefully, hoping to convince both her and myself that Farok has been doing fine. It's not that he hasn't been acting fine, it's just that we all- me, my friends, and family- think that he can't really be okay. It's only been a couple of his weeks since his transformation, so surely that can't possibly be enough time to adjust? Knowing my husband, he's probably just all smiles on the outside, but on the inside he's miserable. Sometimes I'm scared that he is like a turtle. His outer body is strong, but his inside is delicate.

"No, I'm not sure." I admit. I wish I could dig deep inside his mind to comfort him."

"But why can't you?" Mena asks. "You're his wife, so shouldn't that be easy to do?" She looks up at me with innocent eyes, as if she is completely flabbergasted by the idea that he won't open up to me.

"Usually he opens up, but he hasn't since his transformation. His true self is stuck inside its shell, not wishing to come out."

"What?" Zeeona questions, cocking her head.

"Nevermind," I say, waving my hand, not wanting to explain.

I look around the cafe we're in for our waiter. He hasn't come over yet.

Seeing me looking around the cafe, Zee complains, "I can't believe our waiter hasn't come over yet." She rolls her eyes.

"Here he comes," Mena drawls out in a tone I can't quite place.

And then, he's standing next to Mena with a movie star smile. This guy must be a new waiter, because I've never seen him before. I come here often enough.

Mena is looking at him like he's a living God. Really, he's not too far from it. He's a young man with raven black hair that falls just right over his eyes. He is pale as cotton, and his teeth match. Smiling with a sideways grin much like Zee's, he's infectious.

"Hello ladies, you all must be sisters." Mena giggles like a school girl. I roll my eyes. Who is he trying to impress? Zeeona or Mena, as if to say 'you actually don't look old'? Certainly not me. To him, I seem like his age, so maybe he's actually insulting me. What game is this little boy playing?

"Should I, or you?" He asks, looking at Mena.

Oh God, what is this? I ask myself.

"Can't we just order?" Zee asks, resting her head on her hand with boredom.

I stare her down with harsh eyes to shush her. I have to hear this.

Clearly ignoring Zeeona and having come to a decision, he says, "I'm Mena's new boyfriend."

Mena nods forcefully, then looks back at him with gleaming eyes. My mouth falls open.

"Mena, what is he talking about?" Zeeona asks slowly.

She doesn't mean anything like, 'you have a husband, what are you doing with another man?' She's been divorced for about ten years now. He was way too controlling of her, and sheoddity want to break it off. She couldn't see what was right in front of her face. That what they had was no longer a healthy love. Eventually, Zee and I pushed her enough for the glaze to come off her eyes to see their relationship wasn't great anymore. Since she's had a few boyfriends, none of them great, none of them terrible.

But she's always been with a guy that's her age. She is a pretty woman, don't get me wrong. She has a petite frame. Her face is heart shaped, and she has enormous brown eyes. But like any middle aged woman, she is showing her age. But regardless of looks, Mena is practically a cougar.