chapter8. Right Hand Man.

I hadn't seen much of the boys the next few days. Alex and I packed all of our belongings, which wasn't much. We carried the bags around in case we ever needed to go to where we were supposed to be stationed immideately. Alex would always go out to meet them, and I'd just go to the library to read or discuss things over tea with Burr. Burr is a really sweet man. I, sadly, didn't see much of Lafayette like we agreed on, but I settled with the fact that he might've been busy. Mulligan stayed in his shop. The only person I saw most of was John(yes, even more than Alex since he was always shut off in his room writing). He would come over or we'd ride our horses and challenge each other. He was truly my other half. I wrote to the Sisters daily. Even though I didn't leave yet, they were too busy for us to meet up again. "(Y/N)!" I heard someone yell. I jolted awake from my sleep and frantically looked around rubbing my eyes. "W-what?" I asked as my eyes landed on Alex shuffling through my packed bag. He tossed me a simple blue dress that didn't have so many ruffles. In fact, it had no ruffles at all. 

      "This isn't fancy..." I muttered still half asleep turning back over. Alex yanked the covers from off of me. "It isn't supposed to be. You don't want General Washington thinking you're some kind of stuck up princess do you?" Alex retorted. I WAS SUPPOSED TO SEE THE GENERAL TODAY. Oh SHIT. I jumped awake and flipped through outfits in my bag. "Shouldn't I wear what you're wearing?" I asked pointing to his outfit. He hesitated. "I mean...I guess, but we don't have one in your size," Alex muttered. I scoffed and pushed him out slamming my door. First impressions were important and I had to make mine today. I shuffled through my clothes hoping to find an outfit like Alex's knowing I wouldn't find one. 

   It's no use.

    Disappointed, I made my way to my bathroom as I did my hair and got ready. "(Y/N), come to the kitchen!" Alex yelled. I groaned and shuffled out to see everyone even though I was still in my night gown. "Alex, I should kill you for not getting me a-" 

    "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" The the guys all yelled. That was...all except Hercules. He wasn't here. "Wha- I- huh?" I said highly confused and now completely awake. Alexander rolled his eyes. "We do this every year. Why don't you ever remember your own birthday?" He scoffed. "Oh I don't know, maybe because I feel like a mistake," I said with a bright, sarcastic smile. Before Alexander could continue, John rushed forward with bows and tape and glitter all over him. "Me! Me! Open my gift! PLEASE!" He whined. "Okay, okay." I laughed calming him down. He shoved a box into my hands roughly. "Geez, Laurens, calm down." I chuckled looking at him. I turned my gaze back to the box. It was dark and deep. I was going to reach my hand in, but John stopped me. "Noooo. Look INside." He begged. Doing so, I tilted the box upwards and put my face inside a bit...

     until it was roughly smashed into my face.

      with whip cream and pie accompanying it.

     Alexander, Lafayette, and John were all a laughing mess. "Oh, you guys think you're so funny, huh? I'm gonna kill-" I trailed off as I felt some on my top lip. "Oh shit, wait," I licked my top lip as well as my bottom lip. "This is really good!" I exclaimed as I began eating the pie off my face. "I baked it myself. I have another one waiting for you in the kitchen along with a card!" He said like an excited child. "Thank you, Laurens. Also, I got something for you," I smiled. "What is it?!" He asked excitedly. I quickly wiped my face of cream and splashed it onto John's freckled face. "Oh yeah?" He challenged. "This is war!" He picked up the box I dropped and began flicking cream at me from inside until I ran behind Lafayette. "Protect me, Baguette!" I squeaked. Lafayette did a good job at protecting me, considering he was taller than me.

    That was until Alexander came from his room. "Hey guy- woah hey, stop! You're getting cream all over the place!" Alex whined like a child, yet almost sounding like a concerned parent. "Yes, father." John and I said sarcastically. We had a habit of finishing or joining each other's sentences. "You're eighteen today," my brother said proudly as he finished cleaning the place. "how do you feel?" He inquired. "The same." I laughed. After talking for a while, I noticed Lafayette was quiet. "Laf, can I talk to you outside?" I asked softly. He looked up and nodded at me with a roll of his eyes.