Chapter Three

My father was running towards us.

I squeezed Emery's hand.

"Emery, I love you. I can't lose you, not now," I cried.

"I love you too, Belenne. I'll be okay," she said, completely calm.

I kissed her hard, bracing for the impact of my father.

He grabbed my arm, squeezing it tightly.

I didn't let go of Emery's hand. My father would have to pull us apart.

Effortlessly, he did. He grabbed my other arm and twisted it painfully behind me.

I could feel his power forcing its way through me. He held my arm out in front of me, using me like a toy doll. I clenched my hand into a fist, resisting the energy flow.

His power was too strong for me to resist for long, and my fingers started to uncurl. The knife on the ground started to slowly rise up into my hand.

I was screaming, tearing my vocal chords to shreds.

My father forced a huge burst of energy through me, sending the knife flying.

He let go of me and I sagged to the floor, my body weary from the forced energy. He walked away, then back out the window. He left me here.

I looked up at Emery.

She had a knife sticking out of her chest.

I scrambled to get up, yelling her name.

She started to fall, and I caught her in my arms then I gently sank to the floor.

"No, no no no, Emery," I sobbed.

The knife was lodged between her ribs, right where her heart is.

I cradled her against me. She had tears slipping out of her eyes, eyes that were too quickly losing their life.

I heard her parents come back down the stairs. I didn't look up at them, I just held Emery close to me.

"Don't leave me," I whispered. "You were right."

Her eyes were glossy. I laid my hand over them and pushed her eyelids shut, but I didn't let go of her. Not for a long while.

"I broke."