Prologue

Prologue

Darkness. The one thing that arises after the daytime, one of the most feared of my kind, took away my family. If you wonder who - what I am, you'll know soon enough. I'm a superhuman, rather, a Decatur Superkid. I know, I know, the name is sorta cheesy, but it's the truth. As it turns out, I graduated from Decatur Classical Elementary School a few years ago. I wasn't born with these powers: they were a gift and blessing from some weirdo named Michelangelo. He came into class casually, telling everyone a bunch of nonsensical garbage that we didn't understand. When he came to the superhero part, everyone was listening intently. I can remember that one memory where he traveled all the way from his super-secret hideout just to talk to me.

"You're a powerful one", he said.

"Sure, whatever", I replied. "Just tell me what's wrong with me."
In the duration of a few weeks before that, my powers have been acting up. For example, I had tried to destroy that missile that was en route to my city, but I missed by a few miles. Never mind, kilometers. Also, when I was sleeping, I was literally sleep-walking and sorta tore the building down, using my axe.

"You can do this, Jack", he said reassuringly. "You are one of the greatest heroes I have ever trained in my few centuries I have spent on this Earth. Always remember that your friends are always there for you."

"Were the Decatur Superkids your greatest students?", I asked. "We know da wae."

"Yes", he replied. "And the wae is dead."

That was it, only a few words to me before his pretty neat way of changing the subject, where he said that we had to activate this this thing-ma-bob that would awaken the ancient dolphin, which trapped some bad guys a few eras ago. That conversation happened a few weeks ago. Today, I am Sentinel.