Chapter One. The Catch

I'm Jake, Jake Drake. I'm in fourth grade and I'm ten years old. And I have to tell the truth about something: I've been crazy about computers all my life.

              My first computer was an old Mac Classic with a black-and-white screen. I got to play Reader Rabbit and Magic Math. I got to draw pictures on the screen, and I played battle Tanks. And that was before i could even read.

               Then our family got a Mac with a big color monitor. And i grotto play Tetris and Shanghai and Solitude and Spectre. Then I got a joystick for Christmas when i was four, and so did my best friend Willie. Whenever Willie came to my house we played computer games together. It'snot like we played computer games all the time, because Mom made a one-hour-a-day rule at my house. But Willie and I filled up that hour almost every day.

                 Then the computers started getting super fast, and I started messing around with Virtual Drummer, and then SimCity, and SimAnt, and PGA Golf and about ten other games. And then the internet arrived at my house, and all of a sudden I could make my computer do some pretty amazing stuff. It was like a magic window.

                 I'm telling all of this because if i don't,  then the rest of the story makes me look like a real jerk, not most of the time. I just really like computers.

                 When i started Kindergarten, there was a computer in our room.  When the teacher saw i was good on it, i got to use it. I even got to teach other kids how to use it. Except for Kevin and Marsha. They didn't want me to tell them about computers or anything else.