〔 ryuzaki/L x reader 〕

to imagine perfection
❦❦❦❦❦❦
one of my first loves/animes I ever watched and I will never forget it

words: 1242

things to know -
•ooc L, I guess. I tried to be as accurate as I could, but I went off on a tangent bc i had an idea :')
•you were in the same orphanage as L if you care about backstories, that's why it's easier for you to understand him
•edited!
❦❦❦❦❦❦
•third person•

when someone imagined L, the greatest detective in the world, they might've imagine a well kept, strapping man. somewhere in his 20s or 30s, a lady killer off duty, and maybe, just maybe, his voice was a deep silky ocean and his smile could blind.

when (y/n) listened to women describe their perfect L, the only thing they were right about was his age.

no one knew that their lady killing, well kept, strapping man in his 20s or 30s hated being around people; that he hadn't been interested in women until he was at least able to drink. he had a killer sweet tooth and he sat "weirdly" to an normal, averagely intelligent person. so when (y/n) listened to these women describe their perfect L, her sides were splitting from trying to stifle her laughter.

(y/n)'s perfect L was completely different, from both the women's perspective and his normal, everyday sarcastic and condescending self. whenever he would get to sleep in, or sleep at all, L sometimes found his way into her arms, lulled to sleep by her heartbeat that kept away his insomnia. he whined when she made him eat something other than sweets, or made him put on socks or shoes. L wasn't good with words when it came to his feelings, or anything other than his detective work, but he always found ways to express himself gratefully to (y/n). that was her perfect L, the real L. that well kept, strapping, detective-by-day-lady-killer-by-night, silky voiced man anyone else assumed him to be didn't hold a candle to the real L.

even when he smothered (y/n) into his chest, grumbling about the early morning, rain filtered light and whatever else he didn't want to confront.

"L, you have to get up."

"...no." (y/n) huffed as best as she could with the little air she was getting and finally pushed herself away from his body. she dramatically gasped for air, teasing (e/c) eyes looking down at L who rolled his own, before she slipped out of the bed. "you're getting up, you're going to eat these amazing eggs and mouth watering salmon like it's you're last meal and I'm sending you off!"

he groaned as (y/n) danced around the room with her singsong voice, throwing the covers off the bed and subsequently his body, and slipping out of the room as she reminded him to fix his hair. as to how L managed to end up with an inconsistent morning person—yes, inconsistent, sometimes (y/n) threw temper tantrums in the face of her daily responsibilities, just like L refused to acknowledge his—was lost on him, but he still sat up. he had half a mind to grab the candy he kept in his nightstand, but just as he reached out to open the drawer -

"L! don't touch your candy, or I'll throw it all away like last time. every. single. piece, even the candy that Watari keeps~"

last time was definitely not something he wanted a repeat of, and L withdrew his hand sadly before getting out of the bed. his feet dragged against the cold floor, defiantly enduring it just because he knew (y/n) would worry over him for it.

you'll get sick! and where will your detective work be then, huh?

here, being taken care of by you.

she had grumbled shyly after that, something about she wouldn't hesitate to let him sleep in the cold living room if he got sick. something told him she wouldn't do that, not when he walked into the kitchen and (y/n) immediately glared down at his feet.

"L..."

"you'll take care of me, won't you?" (y/n)'s perfect L was clingy sometimes, almost needy, and it showed when he came up behind her. when L rested his head in between her shoulder blades and leaned into her as (y/n) made the breakfast he "despised" so. she sighed in fake annoyance, but turned the stove off and turned around. L laid his forehead on her shoulder when he was pulled into her arms, smoothing his hair down and rubbing his back.

(y/n)'s perfect L needed reassurance, because even if he was confident in his deductions, he was new to this. and she would give him that reassurance as much as he needed, until he didn't anymore.

"of course I'll take care of you. I always have, haven't I?" L nodded, (y/n) kissed the top of his head, and teasingly pushed him away so she could go back to cooking.

"go sit down, and after you eat I'll fix your hair." he shuffled to the table, feet dragging on the cold floor much to (y/n)'s annoyance, but she decided to leave it alone.

when L was dressed, hair combed through and admittedly neater compared to how he woke up, he found himself not wanting to leave. Watari was somewhere in front of (y/n)'s apartment to get him, but it just seemed so far away, so impossible. maybe he should just stay home, say he got sick and stay where he had someone to lean on. (y/n) watched him stare at the door for five minutes before she walked up behind him, reached around him and opened the door. L didn't move an inch.

"L?" she walked in front of him, looking up at black eyes that were already following her movements. he contemplated something, biting the inside of his cheek and stuffing his hands in his pockets. (y/n) smiled to herself when he almost shyly looked at her, completely different from the analytical, confident detective he was outside of her apartment.

(y/n)'s perfect L, lithe and with awful posture, with an immature voice for his mid-20 age and a surprisingly low knowledge of women, but just as amazing as the other women's imagination. her perfect L, no one else's, the same L that didn't know how to express himself with words, the same L that (y/n) had learned how to read.

"do you want me to see you off?" he looked down at her, a silent yes in his eyes that made (y/n) smile wider. she ran her fingers through his hair, fingertips traveling down his jaw to hold his cheek and kiss him, standing on her toes because even if he was hunched over he was tall. her other hand found his as she pulled away, smile just as bright as (y/n) rubbed a thumb over his lanky fingers.

"bye, L. I'll be here waiting, okay?" L nodded, and finally (y/n) got him out of her apartment door, watched him as he shuffled down the hallway still barefoot.

but that was her perfect L, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

❦❦❦❦❦❦
be on the lookout for that new material ;) after months of mulling over it I'm over here scheming :)))

requests are open