Chapter 1 (Master Scout)

I was informed by the council that we had lost contact with both the Jaguars and Enclave Armsman we regularly had contact with both. My job was to see what had happened. If there was a threat to Gird I was to neutralize the threat or bring back as much information as possible.

I was given a list of Scouts deemed strong enough to leave the city.

I said nothing.

 I had not thought of the outside world in more than 5 years. The Tribe of the Jaguars are one of the most powerful in the area. They use a steam locomotive to transport goods between other tribes and Enclaves. I could only assume that they have a secret stronghold. And the ability to get the large amount of water and combustible material is a secret held by the tribe. The Engine and train are well armed and armored.

 Enclave Burr was a place I had been to as a runner but that had been more than 90 years ago. The laws of the place had been unpleasant to her. While allowed within the outer wall, outsiders were not allowed in the city proper. There xenophobic fear of outsiders was understandable but potentially dangerous. Contact with outsiders was heavily regulated. The visible technology of Burr was either very low or well hidden. My vote at the time was for the latter.

 Then I was handed my masters jacket, and told that my title and position were to be restored. A position that was removed as it was taken from me. I dropped the jacket, still I have not uttered a word.  The council rises like a wave. Threats begin, I raise my hand. I admit that I was stunned. I had expected to be removed from my position at the school, but not like this. But I would not show it. I would not show weakness before CEO McDuffie or the council for that matter. I scanned the room, opening up my senses. McDuffie seemed oddly content. The council members were very obviously annoid. The first speaker on the other hand was infuriated. Oddly his features revealed nothing.

 "You will remember, it is not I that buried my head in the sand". My voice quiet and controlled.  Your insolence caused us to do what needed to be done, says the first speaker. "Then as you say you did what needed to be done". I turn to face the first speaker.  I will not be treated as a toy, discarded. To be recalled when needed, only to be tread on when no longer needed.With that, I turn and begin to leave the chamber.

 I could only think of the last time I had been in the council. That day was my last as a Master Scout. I had brought my request as leader of the Scouts that we survey as much of our surroundings as possible. Judge strength and numbers as well as possible Alliance with as many as possible. I was openly defying the council. They had told me that the matter was settled. Oddly enough, I would not listen.

 This request was not my first, nor my hundredth. I didn't intend for it to be my last. This was it seems the last straw, for I was stripped of my rank and my position was struck from the list of Masters. No longer would talk of the outside be visited within the council chambers. I was given the title Professor and told to train the youw. My training dictated by the council.

 A very young scout moves to block my path, sweeping him aside i place my hand on the door. Hearing him impact the far wall lightly. To my surprise, the young scout grabs my hand. He must be skilled for me not to feel his approach. His grip is very strong, but unskilled. His balance off, I throw him to the wall again with considerable skill and strength. His grip is strong, and he has picked up and countered my attempt to throw off his balance.

 I stop and smile at the young one. What is your name I ask? He is a little surprised, for I feel his balance shift. When he finally answers he says Scout 1 Beach. I turn as he releases my grip stating "I am Master Scout Jonas". With that, the council leaves. Ahh if looks could kill, I would have been able to justify taking the head of the first speaker. How can I have come so far, only to lose control. I will definitely have problems after openly defying the council.