one

chapter one
madeline

the sound of heels clicking against the tile floor filled the air as madeline walked quickly down the hall towards the elevator. she pressed the 'up' button and bit her lip softly as she anxiously waited, glancing down to check her watch.

she was almost thirty minutes late. it could be worse, but madeline had never been late before. she was always punctual when it came to work. however, the twenty-two year old had been up all night working, making it quite difficult to get up that morning. she got ready as quickly as possible and rushed to work, but didn't make it in time.

the elevator door finally opened, and madeline let out a soft sigh of relief before walking into the elevator, pressing the button for the top floor. her chocolate brown eyes stayed glued to the screen where the floor numbers were shown, watching as the number became higher and higher. when she was on the top floor, she got and off and walked as fast as she could to her office.

before she could get there, she was stopped by a tall, built figure. she looked up and couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"you're late, ms. kingston," her boss raised an eyebrow, a smirk on his face.

"i am really sorry, sir." madeline said before trying to walk past the man. she could feel the eyes of her colleagues and her cheeks became hot with embarrassment.

"hey," he chuckled, wrapping his hand around her small wrist, "not so fast." with furrowed eyebrows, the man let go of madeline's wrist and looked down at her. his eyes trailed from her brown ones down past her chest and the rest of her body.

"i need to speak to you in my office," he spoke quietly, but in a deep voice that made her want to listen.

he then walked off without another word. madeline let out a breath she didn't even know she was holding in before she went into her own office, putting down her stuff.

she walked down to her boss's office, hesitantly knocking on the door. she heard a deep voice telling her to come in, so she did just that, closing the heavy door behind her.

"please, ethan, i have so much work to do. it's embarrassing enough being late, but everyone was looking!" madeline let out a sigh as she leaned against the door behind her, covering her hot face with her small hands.

"it's alright, mads-"

"please, don't call me that." she interrupted as she looked down at her feet, making sure not to let her eyes meet with his. 'mads' was only one of the many nicknames ethan used that gave her butterflies, but she would never admit that.

she quickly turned around and opened the door, walking out and leaving ethan alone in his office, leaning against the front of his desk with his head hung low.

ethan couldn't seem to get over madeline, she knew it. he looked at her like she was the best thing that had ever happened to him, but she only pushed him away. she kept their interactions as short as possible, including the time they kissed after the work day had ended and everyone had left, when she finally let him come closer. she didn't let that last long, though. she suddenly pushed him off, leaving ethan flushed and confused as she left.

madeline was always so sweet and kind, so she really tried not to ever be rude to ethan, but he didn't seem to stop yearning for her. the more she tried to push the man away, the closer he'd come. she'd never admit it, but she did care deeply about ethan. she liked the way he was protective over her, and how he'd put his hands on her in the most sweet, subtle ways that sent chills up her spine. she liked his smiled, and his light brown eyes. she'd never admit any of that, though. he was just her boss.

i just got bored and downloaded wattpad and found this lol um enjoy?