six.

❝ i know ❞

mike furiously pedaled home, throwing his bike down on his lawn and sitting next to it, watching for elle's arrival

mike furiously pedaled home, throwing his bike down on his lawn and sitting next to it, watching for elle's arrival. cars flew by, and every second made the boy more impatient to confront the girl.

finally, after what seemed like forever, he noticed the small girl walking up to her porch and unlocking the door. 

"ellie!" he called after her, running up to her and wrapping her in his arms. elle stood there and patted his back awkwardly. 

"hey...mike. could you let me go?" she mumbled into his shirt. mike released the girl and looked down at her, sadness and fear in his eyes. she looked at him too, seeing his fear and sadness. she kissed his head, taking him into her house and sitting him down on the couch. "what's wrong mikey?" she asked, sitting next to him and holding his hand.

"i know ellie. i know about the bruises, i know why you're skittish." he said, biting his lip to keep from crying. he felt terrible for her, and he wanted to do whatever he could to help her leave this situation.

"you do?" she whispered, her eyes filling with tears too. 

"yeah, and it's not your fault your dad is abusive. you don't deserve this darling." he replied, wrapping his arm around the now-shaking girl. the boy squeezed her gently, rubbing her arm in a comforting way, much like earlier in the day.

"thank you mikey." the girl choked out as she began to cry. mike pulled the girl into his lap, kissing her head and rubbing her back. 

"shh, stop crying. it's okay, it's okay." he soothed, closing his eyes as he held the girl close.

~~~

after a while, elle's sobs slowly came to a stop. mike helped the girl stand up, holding her close. 

"come on darling, let's go for a walk." he told the girl, walking out of the front door, elle trailing behind him. he reached behind himself and grabbed the small girl's hand, squeezing it gently. the couple walked in silence, watching the cars speed by. "ellie?"

"yes mikey?" she said, leaning on the taller boy. mike smiled down at the girl.

"if you ever-and i mean anytime, anywhere- you wanna leave this shithole and your asshole of a dad, tell me. because we can blow this town and go someplace awesome. like...morocco!" he laughed, picking the girl up and swinging her around. elle squealed and clung to the boy, ending up on his back.

"hate to break it to you, but we've only known each other for four days." she told him as they walked back to the grey house. the couple bounded up to the porch.

"yes, but it feels like a lifetime." he smiled, letting her slide off his back and land on the ground. mike pecked her lips and smiled at the girl.

"you gotta go, my dad'll be back soon." she sighed, leaning on his chest.

"come to my house. just for a bit." mike pleaded. the girl sighed, then a playful smile spread across her face.

"maybe...if you can catch me!" she giggled, running towards mike's bike that laid on his lawn. mike rolled his eyes and ran after her. elle ran through the front door and into the kitchen, mike following closely behind the little girl. 

"holly, nance, i'm home!" mike yelled, stopping in the kitchen as elle looked around. holly bounced down the stairs, looking at the two teens. "holly, this is elle. she lives in the grey house." he explained. elle looked at mike with wariness in her eyes.

"hello holly." she replied, glancing at mike. "mike, may i speak with you in the other room?" the two looked at each other, and mike led the girl to the other room. "i'm scared mikey."

"what? why?" mike asked, glancing back at the other room. he held his hand out for the girl to take, which she did.

"i've never really been good with kids, mikey. i'm gonna hurt her!" she exclaimed, running her hands through her short hair. mike sighed, kissing the girl's cheek.

"no you're not darling. i'm sure she's gonna love you." he assured, taking her back to the kitchen and sitting on the counter, the small girl next to him. holly bounded up to the couple, sticking her hand out.

"i'm holly wheeler, nice to meet you!" she smiled, her blonde hair swishing with every move she made. elle smiled shyly, shaking the little girl's hand.

"i'm elle brenner." she said, moving closer to mike. he wrapped an arm around elle's shoulders.

"holl, how about you go put on a movie? we'll be in there in a second lovey." mike told his little sister, leaning down and kissing her head. the small girl nodded, skipping to the tv room and he could hear the vcr rewinding.

"come on, let's go watch the jungle book." the boy smirked, jumping down from the counter and picking up the small girl. he carried her to the living room, placing her on the couch and sitting next to her. as the movie went on, mike and holly sang along while elle watched the two with an amused look on her face.

after the movie ended, elle stood up and shook out her body. she wiped the tiredness from her eyes, and reopened them to see mike reaching out for her. she placed a kiss on the boy's nose, pulling him up from the couch.

"i gotta go, my dad's gonna be angry." she said quietly. mike looked up at her, worry and fear for her safety clearly written on his face. she sighed, squeezing his hand before helping him up.

"call me if anything happens." he whispered, hugging her tightly. elle nodded, pulling away. the two walked to the wheeler home's front door.

"mike?"

"yeah elle?"

"thank you." she smiled, pursing her lips into a smile before strolling back to her house, the one two doors down.