Safe and Sound

Derek woke up to a grey ceiling. Remembering those kids from before, he got up quickly and looked around. A man in a black suit with a grey bread came over to him.
"Easy Derek. I had to be careful around those kids. They could of stabbed me and when they die they scream louder than explosions going off around you."
Rowan placed a cup on the table.
"Get up slowly. I bandaged your legs up."
Doing what Rowan said, Derek grabbed the cup and took a sip. The water went down his throat as Derek placed the cup down. Rowan put Derek's phone on the table.
"I charged it for you while you were out. It has a full battery."
Checking the phone, there was no call or text messages and no signal.
"Rowan, what happened here?"
Rowan looked out the window before responding to Derek's question.
"I have no clue what is going on. All I know is that I got into a car accident and went into the town. I can't get any signal and trying to get out is impossible because the roads are broken and there's big holes. The roads are gone. It's just a big cliff."
Taking a seat across from Derek, Rowan took a breath of air.
"I can't find the owners here. I'm not sure where anyone is. This town is just empty expect for the monsters roaming everywhere."
Finishing off the cup, Derek looked outside. The fog covered the road. Derek looked around the diner. There were seats with cushions and a bar. Derek got out of his seat. Although his legs were still in pain, it was still tolerable. Walking to the bar, Derek looked around. A jukebox and a pinball machine was in the eating area. A box was on the counter top and a knife was next to it.
Rowan got up and walked to the box.
"I found some guns here. I keep them and the ammunition I was able to find in that box. You know there's some bad things out there, Derek. You came across those greys."
Derek sat down on the stool.
"Rowan, you know more about this town so what can you explain?"
Rowan grabbed a red radio off of his belt.
"There are monsters out there and this radio helps me know if there's some around. It saved my life a lot. I think your cell phone can fill the same role as my radio so if your phone starts to make static, be careful. There are more dangerous things of there other than those grey beings."
Looking at the handheld radio, Derek checked his phone. 98% percent of the battery was left on the phone. Placing it back into his pocket, Derek looked at the box.
"Are you okay if I look at the guns? I don't think I can be safe and sound by myself."
Rowan pulled out a key and opened the box. Reaching his hand inside, he placed the firearms on the counter top.
The finish of the 1911 handgun shined in the lights of the diner as Derek looked at it. It had a stainless steel side and frame and wooden grips with silver screws. Pressing the magazine release button and looked at the magazine, it had no bullets in them.
"They're all empty. All I was able to find was a box of ammunition and the magazines for the pistols, although not all of them are full. I found the Beretta, 1911, and the UZI. Mother of Irene, I hate the smell when I got that UZI."
Derek looked at him puzzled.
"I went to a hospital. It wasn't kept clean and that smell was horrible. What made it worse were the monsters in that place."
Derek looked at the firearms and knife.
The knife was a military combat knife with a wooden handle. The blade had a line of sliver at the tip and going down to the hilt.
"I sharpened that knife a lot, it could cut through the thick fog like a hot knife touching butter."
Rowan laughed at the comment. There was a touch of tiredness in his voice when he said that.
"Rowan, I was following two men and a boy down into a alleyway and I think one of them is Aaron. I saw the red hoodie."
"Damn it. We're gonna need to look for them. They're not safe out there."
Both the radio and phone started to generate static.
They both looked at each other before looking at the window. Rowan grabbed the Beretta handgun and pulled out a knife. Derek grabbed the knife and looked at the window, the radio and phone creating more static.

(Thank you for having read this chapter. I apologize for having neglected this story. Thankfully I'm getting this published around what I will describe as a good moment. Thank you again for reading this story.)