High and Dry

There was a slight chill in the air as you walked from the girl's dormitory, which was strange considering that yesterday it was at least eighty degrees. Regardless you headed toward Blackwell Academy's main building content to enjoy the sight of Arcadia Bay waking up. As you were walking towards your locker you ran into your friends Dana and Juliet you greeted them both but you sensed a heavy amount of tension between the two. Before you could get into any details you saw someone over Dana's shoulder that made you break out into a grin; you excused yourself and jogged over to Nathan. He looked a little distracted but when he saw you his face lit up and he broke into a smile; you jumped into his arms and he easily caught you.

You smiled up at Nathan and leaned in to give him a kiss which he responded to with great enthusiasm but it was cut short when Victoria walked by. She gave a loud disgusted sigh, "Ew, go and get a room; nobody wants to see you two playing tonsil hockey in the hallway."

Without missing a beat you turned toward her and fired back, "Bite me, Victoria." She just rolled her eyes and continued walking through the halls; Victoria has never been your biggest fan but she really started hating you just over a year ago when you and Nathan started dating. Nathan gave a small chuckle and held you firmly by the waist you smiled back at him until you saw his expression falter. You gently ran a hand through his hair looked him directly in the eye, "Hey, What is it? What's wrong?"

Nathan looked a little hesitant but he intertwined your fingers together and smiled at you, "It's nothing I'm just a little tired... y'know long night."

You nodded thoughtfully, "Where were you last night, by the way? I tried calling you but it went straight to voicemail."

Nathan looked down at his feet and shrugged his shoulders, "You know my family wanted to talk to me so I was over at the house pretty much all night. Sorry... how about we go somewhere tonight? Let me make it up to you..."

He was definitely acting strange but you let it go for now, you gave him a tentative smile and squeezed his hand, "Sure, that sounds great! Come one the bell is going to ring..." You walked through the halls with Nathan, hand in hand; you tried to focus on your science lesson but Nathan's behavior was bugging you. Was it drugs? You weren't stupid you knew that Nathan had a history with drugs but whenever you had asked him to stop he brushed you off. However, he did manage to leave you out of his dealings out of respect for you. You peeked over at him and noticed he was looking at his phone suddenly he grew very pale before slamming his phone down on his desk.

Now he was really starting worry you but the bell rang and he was already out of his seat and out the door. You gathered your things and made your way through the halls once again walking towards your art class. You walked towards the back of the classroom and dropped your bag onto your table when you came in Max was already sitting down at the table to your right. Max had just recently moved back to Arcadia Bay but she was nice, sometimes pretty quiet, but that didn't stop you two from hitting it off and becoming friends. Much like you Max was a photographer and a pretty talented one even if she didn't want to admit it. You smiled at her, "Hey Max, How are you?"

Max looked over to you and gave a shy smile, "Hey, Y/N... I'm alright just having a bit of an off day..."

You nodded in understanding and sat down just as Mr. Jefferson called for everyone to take their seats as he began his lecture. Your mind began to wander as Mr. Jefferson droned on you honestly did enjoy the class but you were just a little bit distracted today. You started doodling in your notebook when a movement to your right caught your attention; Max's head fell forward before she snapped back looking startled. You quickly jotted down a note and passed it over to Max, asking if she was okay, she looked frightened but she gave you an unconvincing nod before turning away.