Chapter 23- Riddled and Confused

I did not know what I felt by the end of the night. All I could do was wrap my arms around Vascar as my mind throbbed with a raging torrent of emotions. Anger, betrayal, confusion, and sadness at the forefront. Vascar did his best to comfort me, but I was so engrossed in my thoughts I did not hear his words. But I felt his presence and his love, and that was exactly what I needed. I did not cry. I was not weak. But I was still hurt.

'Oh Little One,' Vascar said his warm breath caressing my face.

I didn't respond as I snuggled closer to Vascar's side. I did not bother to get into my cot, but instead decided to sleep next to my other half. With his strong and steady heart beating in my ear, it helped calm my mind. Finally, his soothing words and deep breaths lulled me to sleep.

Luckily, I had a dreamless night. I was worried that my night would be haunted by my sorrows. But instead the minute I fell asleep, it seemed I awoke again. Vascar's wing was draped over me protectively, and through its membrane minimal light seeped in. It was probably approaching dawn. Suddenly, I remembered that we were supposed to meet Oromis before the sun rose.

I panicked the slightest bit as I pounded my hand on Vascar's side, causing him to jolt awake. Unconsciously, he lifted his wing, allowing me to slip out and change into the clothes I had laid out for today. As I glanced back at the large orange dragon, I noticed that his eyes were once again closed.

Prodding him with my mind, I am shocked when his musical voice booms through mine, 'I am awake. I'm just waiting for you.'

Huffing under my breath, I shouldered my pack and lifted Vascar's saddle into my arms. I placed its heavy form on his back in the space between his spikes. He kept his eyes firmly shut, shifting his body when needed so I could strap his saddle. Finally, tightening the last leather band, I slapped my hand against the top of the saddle and stepped back. Vascar allowed one blue eye to lazily open before he pushed himself up off the ground and stretched his claws out across the stone floor.

'Finally ready?' He attempted in a joking manner. I smiled half-heartedly, not wanting to let him know how much my heart still hurt. This was an exciting day, and I was going to push aside my emotions, if not for my sake, than Vascar's.

I did not bother strapping myself into the saddle. Instead I just told Vascar to fly to the Eragonian Training Center, and I would hang on tight with my legs and to the spike in front of me. He shook his head but didn't argue as he extended his wings and pushed off into the rapidly lightening sky. The clock was against us as he flapped hard through the air, attempting to make it there as fast as possible. But, the sun had not yet risen, so there was still a chance.

With each stroke of his wings, I could feel his body lurch forward dramatically, pushing us forward faster than he ever had before. I couldn't help patting his neck, giving him moral support and edging him on. The sun was determined to beat us, and I could see its light peaking over the horizon, but it still had not technically risen.

Finally, Vascar tipped straight down and tucked in his wings. We hurtled like a speeding arrow towards to to large opening in the roof. I had lost the fear long ago of Vascar crashing into the earth, all I cared about now was making it to Oromis's study on time.

Throwing his wings open at the last second, he slammed into the ground, bending his legs to help cushion the blow. Glad that I had not strapped myself in, I leaped off his back and set off for a sprint through the group of riders, pushing towards the halls and Oromis's study. I heard several disgruntled comments at my rudeness but paid them no mind. And, seeing a certain green dragon at the edge of the hall only made me push harder and faster through the crowd.