01

A lot of people knew Mika. She was always walking around town, and she had a smile that could swoon anyone. She was beautiful and kind. But she rarely spoke. She only spoke to around five people regularly. Many people had asked her why she'd never spoke to them, and she never replied. She simply shook her head with a sigh. They wouldn't understand.

It wasn't a matter of dislike. No, it was a matter of trust... and she was painfully awkward.

That's why she only had a couple friends over her lifetime. She knew everyone, but she never considered most friends. Maybe it was rude of her to just brush off people the way she did, but it was her life and her voice.

She was never this shy as a child. She was bubbly and talkative when she was kid and into her preteen years. It was when she was fifteen, when she lost both her parents to rogue ninjas that she stopped speaking. She just didn't want to anymore. It made her stomach turn so that every time she spoke she felt like she was going to be sick. It's calmed down since then, that reflex. Her silence is a result of habit at this point.

As she jogged alongside Gai, relief and peace rung out in her chest. He was such a wonderful friend, although he could be loud and annoying at times. He was still a great friend, one of her only.

He smiled at the sunset. She couldn't help but let her lips curl up as well. "You really should embrace your youth while you can, Mika," he said to her confidently. He was always telling her the same thing over and over again. Embrace your youth. She was just barely younger than him.

She said nothing in response, even though she knew she should have said something.

Gai always knew how to fill the silence.

"You have a beautiful voice. I understand you have your reasons, but you should embrace your gift," he advised once again. He was always encouraging her. She wanted to take his advice, but something in her stomach told her not to. She sighed, coming to stop beside him. He dropped his jog as well.

"I'll open up to people I'm close with. I've never wanted to talk to anyone else," she told him bluntly. He nodded, the smile on his lips faltering just a bit. Maybe he was a bit too friendly and would never comprehend how she could live the way she did. That was okay. They were still friends, and they balanced each other out. Social vs completely anti-social.

While they were at a pause, she fixed her bun, making sure the pins she kept were just in the right place. Not only were they great for keeping her hair out of her face, but they also functioned as easy to access throwing needles. She was careful not to prick herself, needless to say.

He admired her from where he stood. She was so beautiful, with her perfectly tied blond hair, her hardened brown eyes, and her face decorated in freckles. She hated them with a passion, but many people adored them. It was unique, and honestly very cute.

She was gorgeous right now. The sun setting, and the light fading from the sky. Gai smiled at his friend, waving for her to continue on their run. She grinned right back and followed him, picking up speed so she could run by his side.

They were just about to start on another lap before someone came bursting out of a side street, waving his hands frantically. The pair came to a stop in front of Iruka, eyeing him curiously. He sighed with relief, turning to Mika with a frown. "Your students are fighting again. It got violent this time," he told her breathlessly, obviously from running across the village to find her.

She sighed, placing her hand on her forehead. Those two boys, they were always arguing with each other. They didn't get along, and it was painfully irritating. She waved to Gai silently before dashing off behind Iruka.

They stopped in front of the academy where she saw her two students being held by their collars a few inches off the ground by her best friend. He wasn't saying anything to them, just holding them apart. He knew that Mika would scold them enough for the both of them.

Mika stomped over to the three. Before she got too angry, she peered up at her friend and sighed in relief. "Thanks, Kakashi."

He nodded, dropping the two boys to their feet. They didn't dare run away, otherwise they would face the wrath of their sensei. "Not a problem, Mika," he replied before stepping back. He knew what was about to come, and he didn't want to be too close.

"Kotarou, Tsushima, what the hell do you two think you're doing?!" she screeched, grabbing both of them by the ears and pinching. They both whined at the pain, but she did not care. "You are teammates! What did I tell you about fighting?! I can't believe you two would do this again!"

"But Mika-sensei," one of the boys began, and this only made her pinch his ear harder.

"Do you know how ashamed I am of you two right now?" she scolded. "You embarrassed me in front of my friends, you little jerks. I want you to apologize to him this instant, do you hear me?"

She let both of them go, and immediately they went to rub their ears. They both looked to her and then to Kakashi, who only looked up from his book for a moment, raising his brow expectantly. They paled as they turned around, being pushed closer by their angry sensei.

In truth, Kakashi wasn't even mad. He really didn't care, since his two male students fought all the time as well. There was something about preteen boys and being angry constantly that neither of the adults understood.

But he thought it was incredibly amusing hearing Mika use her angry voice and blowing up. She was so quiet, but when she angry with her students or him, she got loud in only a moment. He could never take her seriously when she yelled at him, thinking it was hilarious that this little woman with such a quiet voice could become so furious.

In unison, the boys mumbled, "We're sorry, Kakashi-san."

"And? What are you sorry for?" she questioned impatiently.

"For fighting."

She smiled and returned to her normal self. She clapped her hands together. "Now go run along. If I hear from anyone that you two were fighting again, there will be consequences," she told them. The boys sighed before running off together, fearing their teacher.

"Thanks again, Kashi. Those two really give me a hard time."

"Heh, tell me about it."