The Coming of Ice

To Tyson's credit, he didn't completely panic, though his voice over the walkie talkie had that high pitch most people get when woken with a start in the deepest of sleep.

"Dark! Dark! And he's oozing out—oh god, he's oozing. No. No, I lied, that's ice, no...slush?"

Kai glanced one last time over the dials as he answered. "Remember where those 72 hour kits are?" He grabbed his coat off the dash.

"Bunch of backpacks next to the boat with weird shiny blankets and stuff?"

"Get those into the dingy along with one of the rubber life boats and some tarp. Let me know when you're done, I'll take care of Tala."

"Roger."

"Tala's out?" asked Ray, who was already gathering himself up and off the mattresses, still wearing his snow gear.

"Yes." Kai hesitated, thinking fast, fingers flying over his buttons and zipper. "Any idea on when that ice will melt?"

"No better than you. I did make some hard tack, though, and we'll need water. I'll help Tyson get the boat ready."

"Check on Max and Ayah first will you? Oh, and the brother. After the boat."

Ray made a face, but nodded and opened the door for Kai. As they headed out and down the metal stairs to their respective goals, an ominous creaked echoed from within the boat.

"It shouldn't go that quick, right? The water is Arctic," said Ray with consternation.

"Saltwater," said Kai, as though that explained something.

Tyson came bursting out of the door to the hold the moment they reached it. His eyes were wild and reflected the starry night, but he had his game face on. Him and Ray didn't have to say anything, instantly seeming to understand what the other was about and ran side by side around the corner to a second, smaller, closer to deck level that held the dingy as Kai swung through the open door and jumped down the stairs, three at a time.

The moment his foot hit ice it slid out and over him, slamming him on his back and knocking the wind out of him. Wincing, wheezing, he rolled to his side and pawed the ice. The rough texture that had been there before had vanished, leaving a damp, watery slide. A cold splash on his head told him what was happening to the ceiling.

Kai uttered his foulest Russian curse.

"Bless you," said a weak Tala.

Kai quickly brought his head up and found the mess of pale limbs and shock of red that was Tala, sprawled out at the foot of the hollow hands of the cracked cocoon. Kai didn't bother getting to his feet, opting instead to crawl as quickly as he could across the mess of wet ice and slush, stinging and numbing his hands and shins in the process.

Tala gave him a dazed, dreamy sort of smile, his eyes half-lidded. He didn't look nearly as emaciated as Kai had when he had hatched, but there was a definite loss of muscle mass which made Kai frown. He barely took the time to take in the Tala's red, white striped tail and his...lack of ears?

"Like what you see?" Tala mumbled.

"Can you hear me?" Kai asked, stomach clenching in horror.

"Loud and clear. And you smell awful, what have you been bathing in? Burnt pee?"

Kai allowed himself a quick, relieved puff of air through his nose before taking hold of Tala's naked, but blessedly dry, arms and heaving him to his feet. Tala wobbled, his dank, damp tail swinging behind him like a loose belt trailing circles in the film of water on the floor, then stumbled against him.