2- Niall

NIALL

      “Good to see you putting yourself out there.” Zayn comments as I jog to where the rest of them are on the corner.

      Taking a deep breath, I give them a nervous smile. Sometimes putting myself out there is hard, I’m not the one who can just walk up to a girl and talk to them like they’re old friends. That’s everyone else in the band.

      “I got her number.”

      Louis grins and slaps Harry on the back. “I feel like our little Niall is growing up.” He teases.

      “Shut up.” I mumble though the bite of muffin I just took. Though I can’t help reaching my free hand down into my pocket and feeling the crumpled napkin.

      “She was kind of strange,” Harry notes thoughtfully. “She didn’t seem very friendly to us at all, though she seemed to know exactly who we were.”

      Liam speaks up then. “She actually seemed kind of chilly, don’t you think? Like she didn’t want us there at all.”

      I wilt slightly at that. I really want to find the right girl, but I’ve always thought that that girl would be a fan. I have never imagined the possibility of dating someone who doesn’t at least like One Direction, it doesn’t seem right.

      But even if she does or doesn’t like us… I’m starting to like her.

      Something about her is fun, intriguing, and mysterious.

      When do I call her? Should I wait a day and then call her? Should I call her right away so she knows I’m still thinking about her?

      “… Maybe she was just surprised.” Zayn says.

      I fade into the conversation again, looking down and realizing over half the bags of food I ordered are already empty now.

      “I don’t care about that right now,” I say, though in my mind, it’s only one of the many things I can’t stop thinking about. “But when do I call her?”

      “In an hour.”

      “Tomorrow.”

      “A few days.”

      “This afternoon.”

      My head is spinning. That doesn’t help at all, they all think something different. I want to do this right. I want to do it perfectly.

      “I still have no idea what to do.”

      Liam sighs, always being the sensible one. “Call her when you feel it’s right.” He says, giving me a reassuring smile. “It’ll turn out fine.”

      I take a deep breath and try to calm myself, nodding.

      We meet the car at the end of the block, hopping in and riding back to the large home where we’re staying for the time being.

      “Calm yourself Horan,” Louis jokes. “You look like you’re about to wet yourself.”

      I can’t stop fidgeting in my seat. All I can think of is that girl. Katie Jones. She has such a common name; she’s so average looking; she’s a coffee counter girl for God’s sake… yet she’s beautiful. I bet she doesn’t even know she is either.

      If I were sure she’s a fan, I’d sing her What Makes You Beautiful.

      “Still thinking about that girl?” Zayn asks, breaking into my thoughts.