Oracle of the Si'a

Suddenly, from the south, the soft sound of alien music wafted in with a warm breeze that rose to chase the clamminess from Tev’s skin. As soon as the music became audible, the shadows began to shriek shrilly, literally boiling with motion and Tev felt strange forms buffeting him from all sides in the darkness.

Just when he thought he was going to be overrun by the shadowy crowd, the darkness was split asunder by a soft, golden light. Its source was quickly revealed as a small globe that floated through the air several hundred paces back the way Tev had come, back near where Tev thought the gates might be. And, as the light cut through the thick, almost palpable darkness like a sword, the shadowy shapes squealed even more angrily and their movements, now almost visible, became frantic.

And then they were gone and Tev found himself strangely alone. His head whirling, he slowly turned to face the light, at first nothing more than a pinpoint in the distance but, as it weaved back and forth in it’s forward motion like a lantern swinging from an upheld hand, it slowly grew larger and became more distinct. Tev felt a rush of relief wash through him as he waited for the bearer of the light to become visible. And visible the bearer did become: as the light manifested itself as a clear, flickering flame held in a strange, yet oddly familiar looking lantern held at about eye level, the light fell upon a cloaked figure striding with purpose along the path, it’s arm holding the lantern aloft.

Closer and closer the figure came. Yet Tev found that, although he felt relief at the appearance of this stranger, seemingly in time to save him from a cold and clammy death, there still was something not right. Something that had his senses telling his body to be ready to fight or run. And, as the figure came within ten paces of the shivering human, he suddenly realized what it was.

The figure made no sound! Nor had the music grown louder, despite the cloaked form being close enough now to be able t make out facial features! It still played softly, just on the edge of Tev’s hearing, a ghostly tune of unrecognizable horns, strings and flutes. It was then that Tev got a good look at the figure itself. Or the lack of, rather. For it seemed to be nothing more than a cloak vaguely formed in the shape of a man, no face nor arm to hold to hold the lantern aloft visible, despite the golden light falling directly upon it. And Tev could see no leg movement either: the figure seemed to be gliding silently over the path without touching it! The human’s stomach knotted. ‘Saved from ghosts by a ghost!!’ He thought, anxiety and fear souring the relief he had felt earlier.

“Stay where you are.” He growled thickly in a low voice as the mysterious figure glided within three paces of the weakened pirate, the lantern casting a pool of golden light that now encompassed him.

“In the holy name of the Maker and the Seven Dragons, I command you to come no closer!!”

A low laugh, smooth and effortless, emanated from the dark space where a face was supposed to be as the figure glided to a halt, now only two paces away. As it came to a stop, a wave of searing heat washed over Tev and he fell to his knees with a cry of surprise and pain. Then it was past and he found himself engulfed in a bubble of almost uncomfortable warmth that quickly finished the job of chasing away the night’s strange chill from his body. A warmth projected by the figure, not the lantern! Dread once again seeped into Tev’s heart. Trembling, he looked up at the figure that now seemed to loom over him, an apparition standing in judgment over him. The question is, would he be found wanting?

“A strange oath you use in this place, accursed by the self same Maker that you have attempted to invoke.” A soft whisper slipped out of the hood’s shadow to caress Tev’s ears, spoken in perfect Tranalo.

“What, . . . what are you?” Tev husked, eyes wide as he stared at the apparition, thankful that it hadn’t come closer, the heat from it’s body enough to make his damp skin steam even at this distance.