Chapter 7: Haunted by the past

It was a simple, traditional house; nothing expensive, nothing eccentric, just a normal place to live in that tiny village. Behind that house was a gorgeous field full of colorful flowers and emerald green grass, which was carefully guarded by tall trees. She always imagined that place was her own stage and the trees were the audience. Whenever she had time, though that didn't happen very often, she used to dance, leaving all her worries, all her sad moments behind and just enjoying every step on the soft grass that gave her a taste of the freedom and the happiness she always dreamt of. That place, that house, that village meant everything for her.

"This is... my old home" though Rosetta at the sight of the place. It's been 6 years since she hasn't seen that beauty. But as she was gazing at the simple, yet beautiful creation of Mother Nature the surrounding suddenly changed and she ended up in a small room, where a girl was sleeping. Her brilliant orange hair was spread around her head and her delicate porcelain face was calm, peaceful, with no trace of worry or sadness. And her eyes... even though they were closed, Rosetta knew their colour; that greyish blue which could remind you of a stormy sky. In front of her was herself at the age of 5.

-Rosetta wake up, it's almost 7 a.m! shouted a voice from downstairs. Hearing this the girl opened her eyes and got out of her bed.She quickly had a shower and dressed up; she was wearing a pretty Chinese dress that fitted her small body perfectly. Then she brushed her hair and put it in two buns, fixing them with some hair pins. This whole activity was done in less than 10 minutes. When she was ready, the little Rosetta looked at the stairs like she was afraid of something. After a few moments and a deep breath, the girl went hesitantlyto the living-room, where a woman with shoulder-length brown hair was setting the table. When she saw there was no one else, the child let out a sigh of relief, though you could still see fear in her eyes.

-Thank you for waking me up Midori-san, if it wasn't for you I'd probably still be asleep.

-No problem, said the woman smiling kindly. Now, take your seat, breakfast is ready! Little Rosetta gently grabbed a cup of tea and took a sip. She wasn't very hungry and the fish was never one of her favourites, but she kept that for herself not wanting to make Midori-san feel bad about it. The two of then were eating (or drinking) quietly when the sound of an opened door and footsteps on the wooden floor broke the silence and startled the little girl.

-It's ok, whispered Midori holding the child's hand. Everything is going to be fine.

-Oh, there you are Midori, said the old woman who just arrived downstairs. She was dressed in a grey gown,contrasting with her silver white hair. Ah, my sweet granddaugher is here too! exclaimed her, hugging little Rosetta. Why are you staring at me like that? Do I have something on my face?

-N-no, your face looks fine Ryoka-san, replied Midori. It's just that...

-Your hair looks wonderful today Oba-san! continued the girl as she turned her gaze to the other woman, begging her with just a look not to say anything. This was one of thouse rare moments when her grandma remembered her and she wanted everything to look normal.

-Well thank you, my little phoenix! exclaimed Ryoka as she was pulling her in another hug.The child smiled when she heard that. The little girl always loved her name; it symbolised strenght and everytime her grandmother was calling her that way she felt like she belonged to the Ushikubo family. Now, why don't you go play outside? The weather is brilliant! said the old woman.

-Really? I can go? asked little Rosetta unable to hide the shock.

-Of course you can! But be careful not to hurt yourself! said Ryoka and the child rushed to her favourite place: the small field behind the house.