Dietrich (2)

A/N: Dietrich is pronounced 'Dee-uh-trick'. I know it's fucking weird but here we are. I had a lot of fun writing this chapter and explaining some gory stuffs and whatnot. Hope you enjoy it too. ♥

Tag Warning: Slight Gore.

Dietrich (2)

It was time to wake up.

Dietrich could feel it as his mind gained awareness slowly, his body stiff as a board and a haze covering his thoughts that eased like molasses. It was enough to tell him of the reeking dust permeating the room around him, of the strangeness encompassing his skin in an almost sticky residue as decay had taken place. Mildew meddled his mind and his eyes struggled to blink open for the first time in twelve months. This was always exhausting, no matter the fact that he had just slept (practically been dead) for a whole year. The reawakening was a painful and slow process that hardly seemed worth it sometimes. However, it was a necessary evil.

He could feel his nerves spark and try to wake up as he continued to come to life, feel a hum of pain settle over his system and, soon after that, an intense hunger. He did his best to push it aside for now. It wasn't as if he could move just yet. He had to wait this out, count the minutes as his body revived from such an intense state of near-death.

He was a creature of the night, though he didn't quite like that title. It sounded far too cliché. Far too horror romance for his taste. He preferred to go by what he was, the simplistic name that humans and other monsters alike had come up with for him.

Vampire was suffice. To the point. Not entirely wrong in every sense, though not entirely correct in all its representation. Dietrich was a different type than what humans were most likely used to. He wasn't your average day, run of the mill, attack at night and allergic to the sun type of vampire. Of course, some days he'd prefer if he were.

Like today for example. The awakenings were a downside to his advanced existence, though so were the twelve months of unconsciousness. However, it was something he could get used to after his many years. Never mind how much he disliked both of the happenings.

His particular brand of vampire had a cycle in which they followed. Their lives revolved around it. For twelve months, they slept. It was a bit ridiculous, but it was purpose driven. They slept straight for twelve months as part of their immortality cycle. When they awoke, they were back at a beneficial age of health and mobility. This, for most of them, meant sometime between twenty and thirty. Dietrich himself was at the ripe age of twenty-one bodily, but time wise was just over four centuries or so. Time seemed to meld faster and faster the older he got, but he had made a point to keep a bit of track to it all. For his kind, there was also only one way to stop their sleep cycles. A way that most vampires tried to avoid completely. No one wanted to give up their immortality, or, at least, most vampires didn't. Not when they were in their first few centuries, for certain. But Dietrich was rather convinced that, after being alive for such a long time, finding someone to settle down with, to continue living within a sort of normal way until they both reached some form of permanent death, wouldn't be a bad thing. Which would be why, for the one month of awareness that he'd been granted the last couple years, he'd been trying to find his other half. So far it was no luck, but he'd had an interesting slumber this last year that was filled with many dreams. He could only hope that some of them were more prophetic than others. It was something that happened in the sleep process for many vampires of his kind. When they slept they would astral project occasionally, sometimes have prophetic dreams about occurrences in the world around them. Most of the time when he dreamt, it was more so of what happened in the world around him so he wouldn't be in a state of disarray when he woke. Admittedly, he had those dreams this sleep cycle as well but also had a stem of dreams he couldn't quite make out completely but they had a good sort of tone and so he could only hope that it would bring good things.