Installment 16: It's Raining Starships, Hallelujah!

Three shadowy holograms stand around the table. All of them look Human in shape, but if they are, it is impossible to tell based on their featureless outlines. Soo-er-soo watches the others. He is large, standing a head taller than a Human, and his crest of feathers make him appear even taller. But to the other three, he appears not as an Avin, but as a shadowy and vague figure, just as they do to him.

"You did not warn about the escort," says one of the shadowy figures. Their voice is mutilated into a gravely sound that is as personal as the shadowy hologram that represents its owner.

"Fang did not come back," says another of the holographs. "If you had warned us, he might still be with us."

"He didn't die because you lacked information," says the third hologram. "He died because he was the weakest of you. You three on the other hand, you are stronger than he ever would be."

"The escort prevented us from grabbing any of the cargo," says Soo-er-soo. "By the time the fight was over, the ships had been destroyed."

"I told you not to destroy them!" shouts the third hologram. "I need that cargo!"

"Fang crashed into the ITA ship," says the first hologram.

"And we did not have time to prevent the Australians from activating their self destruct," says the second hologram.

"Did you at least salvage the wreckage?" the third hologram asks. "Even the smallest scrap of the cargo could be worth a fortune."

"I'm sorry," says Soo-er-soo. "We were about to salvage the wreckage when we detected incoming reinforcements."

"There were no reinforcements in the area. What could have possibly scared you off?"

"Its transceiver said it was NASA."

"Impossible, there are no ships assigned to the area."

"Well there was at least one, it was called Ackle's Rest, I think."

The group goes quiet, waiting for the third hologram to say something. "The Alacritous Regress. It shouldn't have been close enough to respond to a distress signal, but its captain doesn't always play by the rules. Bring me the ship, it is worth more to me than the cargo."

"We shall do so," says Soo-er-soo.

"I have one condition though, I want you to bring me the crew as well, alive."

Soo-er-soo nods. "As you wish."

"Now, I must depart for other matters," says the third hologram. "Do not fail me this time." The hologram winks out.

"I have tracked their location," says the second hologram. "They are currently heading straight for the Aker system."

"I'm the closest," says the first hologram."I shall proceed to the planet and capture them."

"And we shall move in to prevent them from escaping," says Soo-er-soo.

"Don't let them escape till we are in place," the second hologram tells the first.

"Your lack of faith in me will one day be your undoing," says the first hologram, just before they wink out.

"The fool, do you think that they will actually succeed? Or will they fail?" says the last remaining hologram.

"I question if they will even survive."

<<>>

"How the f__king hell do you plan to not get us f__king killed!" says Arron.