Round 3 - Corporal

Thomas walked down the mountain in silence. He was still in complete shock that the two people beside him, two people whom he had trust much, had betrayed him. Teresa's apologies hang in his ears but meant nothing to him. Had Teresa and Aris known each other during the maze? If so, why hadn't Teresa told him? How could they expect him to forgive them so quickly? Teresa had beat him over the head with her spear multiple times in order to get him into a small room so WICKED could do something to him. Aris had kept him at knifepoint as well. How could he ever fully trust them again? The two of them could switch their emotions and actions extremely easy. Too easy.

Teresa, Aris, and Thomas rushed down the mountainside as quickly as they could. While they had just betrayed Thomas or caused him to feel betrayed like WICKED wanted, they still had to make it to the safe haven in time. Which, was something Thomas was starting to question. The immense desert was arranged out before them, but a safe haven was nowhere in view.

From the descending mountain view, Thomas could see the Gladers getting closer and closer to joining Group B. Group B for sure had made it through the maze and scorch with more people.

Teresa interrupted his thoughts with her telepathy. She tried to reassure him that what she and Aris had done was right. He made some small talk but had not forgotten what she had done. He wasn't sure he ever would. She had even had Aris turn away so she could kiss him, but he felt emptiness as her lips reached his.

Up ahead, the two groups had merged and were crowded around something. Thomas, Teresa, and Aris broke into a sprint to catch up with them. As they reached the group, Thomas pushed his way to the center. What he saw made him even more frustrated with WICKED. He never thought he could be any more than he already was. The two groups were surrounding a stick with a ribbon tied to the end. The ribbon had two words. SAFE HAVEN.

"We came all this way for a shucking stick!" Minho said with more sarcasm then thought possible. Thomas agreed it was ridiculous. He had been betrayed by two friends and now WICKED decided to play a cruel joke on them.

The two group knew they still had about an hour left but felt deep down WICKED would never make it easy. They all had to admit they were hoping that WICKED would show up in a berg to the rescue. Was it too much to ask? After all, everyone her had lost so much. A storm was brewing as well. They could only hope it would pass over.

Thomas made some small talk with the remaining Gladers. Brena joined and listened for a while. Thomas thrilled to see her alive. Teresa glared at her but said nothing. During the small talk, a rumbling noise made them stop talking. A whole bunch of egg-like objects appeared. Teresa spoke in Thomas's head.

Do you think they're more Grievers?

Not sure, but I don't think the Grievers moist skin would do well in this heat.

They soon found out that the eggs did not hold Grievers. Instead, they held a new creature from WICKED. The creatures' had weird bulb-like growths growing on them. Each person took one and fought. Thomas used one of Teresa's long knives and fought recklessly. He charged and hacked. He hacked and charged. They creature never seemed to tire out. Thomas stole a quick glance at Teresa. She was busy poking away at hers. POKING Thomas thought to himself. While he hated her guts at the moment, she did have some good ideas. Thomas started poking at the bulb growth. The creature started to actually react.

Minutes ticked down and the storm that had been brewing came in hard. Everywhere people were giving their all and a few lain dead. That's when the berg finally came. The people inside didn't seem to want to help so the Gladers and Group B started helping each other inside. Thomas went to join his friends in the back of the large group.

"What happened between you and Teresa?"

"What do you mean?"

"C'mon, we all considered her a traitor and you seem to have something really big against her. Plus, you, Teresa, and Aris came down the mountain together."

Thomas sighed. He wasn't quite sure how to tell them. "We don't talk anymore."