chapter eight

His medics worked over her carefully. They had direct orders to go fast, but at the same time, the operation they were doing could damage her permanently if they weren’t careful.

The incision they made rested behind her left ear. It was the last model they had made after numerous failed attempts. A tiny scar would be the only indicator of anything happening. The little amount of hair she had covered it up.

An hour later she was tossed out of the medbay and escorted to where everyone else was waiting.

The only term she could use to describe what she was seeing is an arena. The kind of shit that was seen in Roman times. There was even a viewing area. Which she didn’t fail to notice Jacob up there, arms crossed behind his back. She couldn’t see where he was looking exactly, so maybe she imagined the slight nod he gave to her. Either way, she shuddered from fear.

Layal stumbled forward at the command of a Peggie. Everyone rounded into the enclosed space. The ground was rough, like a blacktop.

A loud whistle pierced through the air. It made some people jump, including her. The cage doors closed, slamming shut behind them, keeping them locked in. About ten feet ahead was an assortment of weapons. A few people were starting to understand, they rushed forward, making more run. It turned into a violent stampede of bodies scrambling to get over one another.

But she couldn’t move. She’s never actually killed someone. She never felt what’s it like to plunge a knife into someone’s neck then watch the light leave their eyes. Dying might be better. Might benefit her. Get her out of Jacob’s iron grip. Small sacrifices.

“Get out there. Fight. You’ve done this before pup, It’s just like training.”

The words she heard weren’t coming from one place. She tried to pinpoint the location. It felt like it was coming from everywhere, drilling right in her skull. Frantically she looked around. People were busy tearing into each other with the sparse amount of melee weapons. They acted like they couldn’t hear Jacob’s voice. It was inside her, this disembodied thing.

“Tick tock honey.”

She fell to her knees. It hurt. Her head was throbbing. It was a pounding sensation that blurred her vision. She wrapped her arms around herself. She wasn’t ready. Why the fuck did he think she was ready? Unless this was some form of punishment.

Only you…

No. Her head snapped up. Red. All she could see was red blotting out the scene in front of her. It was like a shot of adrenaline, but everything was sped up. She felt her body move on its own accord.

“Cull the herd.”