Realizations

Miguel's POV
"I wish to be with Mamá Imelda." I closed my eyes momentarily, only opening them when I could see a growing light behind my eyelids. This time, though, I noticed it was different. It was a radiant glow, the swirling combination of silver and gold all I could see around me; it was absolutely mesmerizing. The closest thing I could possibly describe it to, was a picture of the Milky Way galaxy our teacher had shown us at school. Even that couldn't compare to its beauty.
        As the light became too bright for my eyes, I closed them once more. My stomach felt strange, but this time it was more like the feeling you get when on a roller coaster. My clothes were shifting in the wind that came with the glow, and I abruptly realized that I was still holding on to not only the foto, but Papá Héctor as well, even if I couldn't see him through the luminescence.
        The brightness faded, and I blinked my eyes rapidly. My dead family was loudly greeting me, especially when they noticed who I brought back with me. This time, it appeared we were in what must have been the living room, which contained two large, dark brown couches, along with a huge armchair in the same shade. The wooden floor looked worn, as if it was rather old, and the beige walls were covered in black and white fotos. There was no television, but there was a gigantic radio in the corner of the room, and a dial telephone on a coffee table wedged between the two couches.
        Mamá Imelda immediately jumped off the couch and raced over to us, capturing Papá Héctor in her arms. She hugged him so hard that he looked like he was going to break a rib! Héctor's eyes widened in shock. He seemed paralyzed at her reaction, but slowly wrapped his arms around her as well, a small smile forming on his face. I grinned fondly at them as they lovingly held each other, glad he was safely back home.
        "Oh, Héctor! I thought you were gone for good!" She laid her head down on his chest for a moment, before pushing herself out of his embrace.
         "If you ever worry me like that again, I'll kill you myself!" She shrieked. To a stranger, she may have looked at the man like Héctor had just tried to steal her purse, but I knew differently. Imelda's eyes spoke volumes, showing relief and happiness, even as she took off her boot, and wagged it at him while scolding him for leaving.
        "I swear, Imelda, I didn't do it on purpose! Miguel, he—" Héctor began.
        "I know, and I don't care! No more leaving! Period!" She huffed, falling back down onto the couch.
        "Glad you're back Héctor!" Tía Rosita squealed.
"Yes! Even if—" Felipe began.
"You're a little worse for wear." Oscar gestured to the small cracks on Papá Héctor's skull.
It was then that it sunk in what had happened. "You're a skeleton again!" I cried.
Héctor immediately looked down at his hands, before feeling his face. "I am!" He exclaimed. He looked happy to be back to normal, but perhaps also a little bit sad that he was just bones again.
"Wait, you were alive?! Like, with skin and everything?!" Felipe looked incredulous.
"And what happened to you, Miguel?" Oscar pointed at me.
        I could feel everyone's eyes on me as I looked to the wall in a daze, brushing my hand against the scratch gently. It felt like it had scabbed over, but there were lines of dried blood that ran down to my neck.
        "What happened?" Imelda kneeled beside me, gently cupping my uninjured cheek.
        I couldn't bear to look at her, so I pulled away, my eyes dropping to the ground. "I don't want to talk about it." I muttered.
        "Nonsense, tell me who did this—"
        "Imelda." Héctor interrupted her. There must have been a silent communication between them, because a few seconds later Imelda sighed. Hesitantly, I glanced up at her, and she smiled down at me, kissing my forehead.
        "Come, Mijo. Let's go clean that cut, hmmm?" Tía Victoria stood up from the couch, and held her hand out to me.
        I grabbed it, and let her lead me to the bathroom. I stared for a moment at her bony appendage, holding tight to my own skin-covered hand. 'Their bodies feel so weird still. Will I ever get used to it?'
She had me sit on the edge of the bathtub, and got out the same bowl Tía Rosita had used earlier today, along with a new wash cloth. 'Was that really just today? It feels like weeks ago. I'm so tired.'
I struggled to keep my eyes open, and barely felt her rubbing off the the dirtied blood with warm water, as she kneeled before me.
"It's already scabbed, and it doesn't look infected, so I'll leave that be." She muttered to herself, standing up. She dumped out the water, placing both the bowl and the red-stained fabric by the sink.
I blinked slowly up at her, slowly rubbing my eyes. She chuckled quietly, and picked me up like she would a baby. I was about to protest that I wasn't a little kid, and I could walk on my own, before she started to hum. I fought to keep my eyes open for a moment longer, but ultimately gave in to sleep, as I laid my head on her skeletal chest.