Chapter Two

{Chapter three is in the works and will definitely be longer.}

~-~

Cassandra was feeling pretty queasy that day as she stood sentry outside the dungeon doors with another guard. In fact, it was making her pretty restless. Her mind was racing, and she was nervously tapping her fingers on her leg.

Just a few more minutes, she reminded herself, just a few more minutes and you'll be free for awhile.

She could hardly stand it, though, and she was just itching to get out of there. She didn't exactly have any plans-- maybe she'd visit Varian in his lab, or maybe she would go to the library to read-- but at least she'd be free.

Cass never expected to feel eager to get off her shift, but here she was.

She forced her fingers to keep still, realizing a little too late that the rapid movements were what kept her from allowing the fatigue to set in and take over. As soon as she went still, her focus returned to her situation and she felt dizziness started to overtake her. Her vision blurred, and the last thing she remembered before passing out was her fellow guard's face over hers, lined with concern.

~-~

"Wh- where am I? What- what's going on?"

"You're okay, Lady Cassandra," a middle-aged nurse replied with a soft smile, "you were out of it for awhile, but you're fine."

"That doesn't answer either of my questions."

The nurse kept on smiling as she began to tend to a decent-sized bruise on Cass's arm. "You're in the palace infirmary, dear. You took a bit of a fall outside of the dungeon earlier. Luckily, though, both you and your child are safe, thank goodness."

Cass held up a hand to shut her up. "Wait, hold up a minute. My-- my child?"

"Ah, yes, dear. You thought you could keep a secret like that, especially from me? For shame, Lady Cassandra, for shame!"

Then, seeing the look on Cassandra's face, she sobered. "I... I thought you knew."

Cass shook her head, confused.

"Well, then, surprise and congratulations: you're pregnant."