Ch. XXIII

"Good morning, (y/n). It's exactly seven AM." Connor announced, gently shaking your shoulder.

"Hm?" You hummed, still half asleep.

"I recommend you get changed so that we can leave as soon as possible. I have already acquired the passports."

You could only nod drowsily as Connor removed the blanket from your body and began making the bed.

You stood up slowly and reached for your backpack, taking out one of the changes of clothes. Wordlessly, you slipped off your shirt, watching Connor hurry out of the room as soon as you did so. You couldn't help but laugh a bit.

After changing, you stepped outside the room, almost bumping into the ST200- Chloe.

"Good morning, (y/n). Have you slept well?"

"Yes, actually. Thank you." Her complexion was of rare beauty, you had to admit. Ocean eyes so deep, you could get lost in them, glistening with raw, perfectly human emotion.

"There is someone waiting for you and the Android downstairs."

Your stomach did a flip.

Chloe seemed to have picked up on your change of mood rather quickly, since she smiled comfortingly and added: "An old friend of Conroy's. He is willing to help you cross the border safely."

You nodded and thanked Chloe once more, slinging your backpack over both shoulders and hurrying down the stairs.

At their base, you encountered Connor, whom was staring at a wall, fidgeting with his hands. His expression softened when he laid eyes on you. "You've changed. Good. I've decided to wait for you."

"Thanks." You smiled and hopped down the last stair, now standing beside him. "Is there someone else here?"

"Well, I did hear a man's voice other than Conroy's come from the kitchen, so I'm assuming that's the case." Connor paused and looked at you. "Do you think we should just leave? We do have the passports."

"No. Let's see what they're up to." You suggested.

"I trust your judgement." Connor nodded and followed you to the kitchen, held the door open for you.

Conroy noticed you immediately, sly ocean eyes resting on you. You reached behind yourself, only to realize that Connor hadn't entered the kitchen yet.

Beside Conroy sat another older man, in his fifties, with grey, jaw-length hair and a full beard.

"Good morning (y/n)." Conroy greeted, then gestured to the other man. "This is Lieutenant Hank Anderson. He used to work for the Detroit police department."

Police?!

Your heart hammered in your chest, adrenaline burning through your veins. Out of instinct, you stumbled backwards, reaching for the doorknob.

"No need to worry. Hank has had a sudden...change of heart after working in the army for a while."

"Now that's just the cheesiest way to describe it." Hank spoke up, then looked at you. "Pictured something else when I heard you were Kamski's assistant."

"I-" The door you were leaning onto opened as Connor joined you in the kitchen. You stumbled backwards, however the Android was quick enough to catch you and help you steady yourself.

"(Y/n), is everything alright? I heard noises of distress coming from y-"

"Holy fucking shit." Hank spoke up, interrupting the Android.

Both you and Connor switched to staring at him in surprise.

"That's-That's him!" Hank exclaimed, eyes thrown wide open in shock as he stared at Connor. He rushed to the Android's side, grasping his forearm in an almost relieved, enthusiastic manner. "Cole, you plastic prick, don't die on me like that ever again. You have no idea how hard it was to return from Normandy and look for your robotic ass all across Detroit!"