Chapter Four

Despite how meticulous he kept his home, William was hyperaware of just how quaint and meager his surroundings appeared now that a knight stood in the middle of the main room—which seemed all the more claustrophobic

He gave Isaac a long side eyed glance in hopes he'd take the hint to remain quiet. They didn't know who they were dealing with and one look at this 'Sir Dantalion' was enough to calculate they would have little or in absolute terms no fighting chance against this man. He emitted an aura of danger. It wasn't wise to piss off the muscle-headed kind. A knife or a sword to the gut would be the end all. And William wasn't in the mood to die.

The corners of Dantalion's lips cursed into a smile as Isaac went and offered him some water to refresh him from his journey. William quietly studied his features. He was not terribly old but instead rather youthful. He couldn't pinpoint his age but would guess that Dantalion was at least in his mid-twenties. Begrudgingly, too, was the fact that this knight was not unpleasant to look at. He was tall and well-built as far as William could tell. He was sure he and Isaac looked like thumb sucking children compared to him and the other fighting men of the kingdom.

"Have a seat," William said after clearing his throat. He gestured to the small round table in the far side corner of the room. It had only two chairs and one of them sported a notoriously bad leg which once ungraciously sent William falling to the floor. An utterly embarrassing memory.

Dantalion walked across the room in a mere two quick strides and sat down on the good chair. It groaned under his weight. He finished off his cup of water and placed it tentatively on the rough surface of the table.

William licked his bottom lip, wishing the man would get on with whatever he was here for and go. His presence made him nervous—not the same excited kind of nervous which Isaac expressed with a wide grin as giddy and bright as the sun.

The rich and influential were dangerous. He and Isaac along with the people within their village were often no better than livestock to them. The whole lot of them could burn down to the ground and that would simply be that. To say he held a grudge against the very kind of people he longed to be was an understatement. But he had to be cautious—because who would defend two doe-eyed country nobodies from danger?

"I take it that you may have a lot of questions—" Dantalion started, straightening his posture slightly as he lifted his chin towards the still standing and very skeptical looking boy.

"You can bet your horse I do," William snapped, his voice harsher than he had meant it to be. He turned his head, his cheeks turning soft pink. "As—As you can expect this king nonsense is, well, unexpected. There must be some sort of mistake."

After all, could King Solomon really be dead? He had heard no talk of this within the village. Although news could often be slow—it was gossip which reached ears far faster. Not that he personally cared about the king's death. The only deaths which ever truly bothered him were those of his parents years ago. It was a bitter memory.