Sound of Hysteria

In through the nose. Out through the mouth.

The dull ache in her feet grew with every stride she took and every thud her shoes made against the dirt sent another weak pulse of pain through the sole of her foot. She could feel the muscles in her legs straining and she knew she was going to be sore after this. Her chest held that familiar burn in it and every breath she took in felt dry and only exasperated the flames in her lungs. The heat from the morning sun was not lost on Bella as another bead of sweat rolled down her temple, leaving the unpleasant feeling of a salty wet trail on her overheated face.

In spite of it all, a wide smile was spread across Bella's face. It had been far too long since she went out for a morning run- over a month in fact. She has been cooped up way too much since she arrived at this pack and the throbbing in her legs only served to scold her for not staying in shape.

She had woken up early, a strange occurrence for a wolf since they were better known as creatures of the night, and snagged a pair of Elena's sneakers. She must have dreamed of going for a nice run because when she woke up that was the only thought on her mind. It felt so good to be out running again. It was like sweating out all the stress and emotions from her mind. It was just her running. Her body working like a machine, not a single step out of place and her pace never wavering. That's what she wished she was, not some werewolf but a machine- a cyborg.

She kept at it until she noticed the pack stirring awake. She past very few wolves on her way back to the Beta's house, but each one she gave a bright smile and short wave to. As the familiar brick house came into view she slowed her pace down until she was simply powerwalking up the steps and reached the door. She stood up straight while keeping her breathing deep and steady before gently placing two of her fingers against her wrist. As she listened in time with her heart rate she felt it spike up when the door behind her suddenly opened and her body jumped.

She turned around to find Beta Slade watching her carefully with his hand still on the door handle leaving the front door ajar. His large frame towered over her in their close proximity on the small porch. She could tell his dark eyes were trying to assess her next move if she was going to enter the house or stay outside a bit longer, but Bella's eyes were soon drawn to the small flash of color poking out of his grey woven blazer. Was that a maroon handkerchief?

Bella's hand quickly flew to her mouth to try and keep in her snicker but her amusement forced its way out in the form of a soft snort. She never took Slade as a handkerchief person and no matter how long she looked at the silky fabric she still couldn't fathom this tough emotionless man wearing it. She also didn't realize him or Lucian really owned any colors besides monotones of grey.

"Where are you heading?" She found herself asking. Maybe he was off to a nice little event.

The Beta paused for a moment as if he was mentally preparing himself to have a conversation with Bella. But that couldn't be it, Slade loved his daily dose of small talk with Bella. "The Detainment Center."

The short answer quickly sent Bella's mind zooming back to last night when the four wolves discussed what to do with Valenthia. He must be on his way to inform her of the hearing.

Bella hadn't even realized she had zoned out until Beta Slade made a move to get around her. "Wait!" She called out as her body perked back up and moved in his way. "Let me come with you."

"No." Came his reply before the final words could even leave Bella's lips.

"Bu-"

"No."

Bella felt her left eye twitch ever so slightly and she quickly moved into his way again as he tried to sidestep her.

"If I am to be your Luna you will have to listen to me." Bella felt like she was a teacher scolding one of her students. The thought almost made her shutter.