Chapter 7: Lemons

MONDAY, DAY 4

There's a grey area on the topic of moral complacency. Even if you know an illegal action is taking place, you're not legally bound to report the activity. Common decency tends to prevail in most individuals though, and moral compasses spin to point due humanity. Mr. Stern, however, appears to be a glaring exception.

NYTimes Online; "Political Fast Facts: Complacency, decency, and the morality paradigm"

*****

"Objection. Discussions on the topic of unethical human experimentation have been closed since the Kazakhstan debate."

"This statement isn't regarding Kazakhstan, it's in reference to the Winter Soldier project. While Mr. Stern may not have had direct contact or oversight of the Soldier, by his admission he was aware of the project, which means technically he holds a level of complicity in the torture and subjugation of Sergeant James Barnes, alongside Alexander Pierce and a number of still unnamed individuals, and that should be taken into consideration – "

"Counsellor, you've made your point. The Winter Soldier project is not on the docket, and Mr. Stern is not being charged with any crimes related to that case. Strike it from the record, and the jury will disregard anything related to this topic. Now get on with it."

Striking from the record is all well and good, but in reality, they all know it doesn't matter.

The Prosecutor puts a checkmark on his mental scorecard, knowing there's no way in hell the jury will unhear anything. He watches several pairs of interested eyes flick toward James Barnes, who sits stoic in the back row. Faking frustration, the Prosecutor bows his head in deference, fighting back a smile.

"Yes, your Honor."

Beside you, Bucky sits calmly.

*****

TUESDAY, DAY 5
Everyone remembers the entertaining C-SPAN footage of the day Tony Stark stood in front of the Senate Armed Services committee, led by then Senator Stern, and refused to release the Ironman technology to the government. Stern responded with a sarcastic "f*ck you Mr. Stark" and later attempted to have Mr. Stark tried for treason. The sheer irony is laughable.

NYTimes Online; "Political Fast Facts: Treason by any other name"

*****

"You're grasping at every comment and innuendo, real and unsubstantiated, and twisting it to fit your definition for 'treason.' I wasn't aware McCarthyism was back in style, this is completely unacceptable."

"Do I need to remind everyone that Treason is literally defined in the US Constitution as 'aiding enemies of this country?' So, based on that description, can you explain how developing plans and funding technology that could murder millions of United States citizens is not treason? Or how about approving terrorist cells dragging American citizens from home soil and executing them in foreign streets? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think that's pretty unacceptable."

Beside Bucky, you sit calmly.

*****

WEDNESDAY, DAY 6
As Garrison Stern's trial comes to its expected conclusion, the outstanding question remains – does Hydra still have a foothold in the world, and if so, is the government making good on their promise to eradicate the threat?

NYTimes Online; "Political Fast Facts: Garrison Stern: Case Closed"

*****