Chapter 3

"What if we asked Becky?"

"That might be possible. No offense, but how will we know if she's really telling the truth?"

"If I have to, I'll give her an alpha command to make sure."

"I appreciate it, but I don't want to undermine your trust in each other unless necessary." We decided that we should just ask her. When we went back to the main hallway, we saw her.

"Becky, we need to talk to you." Cindy said.

"What is it?" Becky asked, confused.

"What happened just before the fight between you and Carrie."

"You mean the vampire girl?"

"Yes. He is adamant that she wouldn't attack without reason."

"And how would he know?"

"She's my sister." I told her.

"Oh." Becky said. "Well, I don't know exactly. I was talking to my cousin then the next thing I know, she was hitting me. It was weird though."

"What was weird?" Cindy asked.

"She kept saying she was sorry, and she had tears in her eyes." Becky told us. "Then all of a sudden her eyes changed. They became vacant, like she was asleep." Becky and I looked at each other for a moment. "I am sorry about your sister, but."

"Don't worry. I don't blame you. I'll explain to David and let him know what you told us."

"Thanks. Is there anything else? My family is having dinner with my aunt's this afternoon."

"You're fine. Thank you." I started to walk down the hall.

"Where are you going now?" Cindy asked.

"To talk to the nurse. To see if there is any physical signs of her being controlled." 

"Okay. I have one question though. What does this mean for us?" Cindy asked. "You know, us being mates?"

"Honestly, I don't know yet. The first time we spoke, you acted like you hated all vampires. That doesn't set well with me, for obvious reasons."

"I can understand that. But the thing is, all my life my father has drilled into me that all vampires are evil. It's going to take some time to get over that."

"I understand. Why don't we just try it on a trial basis. As long as you're willing to at least try to get closer to my family, we won't end it."

"Fair enough." Cindy said. "So how do we start?"

"Simple. We start by having lunch with a vampire."

"You don't think that's a little too soon?"

"If it was a group yes. But we're only having lunch with one vampire. And when you get comfortable with that, we'll add another to the mix. We'll just go-slow and take our time. I'm just glad you're willing to try to get to know them."

"Thanks, I mean for understanding. I don't think a lot of guys would have."

"You can thank mom for that." I thought for a while. "Speaking of which I should call her and let her know about Carrie and about her being controlled somehow." They got to the nurses office and checked on Carrie. "David, anything new?" David lifted his head. He started to come over to me, then he saw Cindy.

"What is she doing here?" David asked.

"Calm down. This has been a huge misunderstanding. We think someone was controlling Carrie to make her start a fight." I told him. David's eyes grew wide.

"Someone was controlling her? Who could do that?"

"I don't know. I'm going to call mom and see if she can find signs that might give us an idea of who or how."

"David, I am sorry about what happened to Carrie. You know how my dad is. He thinks anyone that isn't a werewolf is a monster." Cindy told him.

"I guess I can't blame you. But I appreciate you apologizing."

"Tell her I'm sorry too when she wakes up."

"I will. Thanks, Cindy." As we left the hospital, I called mom and told her what happened and what we think caused it. We made our way to Alpha Tom's to fill him in. When we left the pack house, I got a call from mom asking me to come to the Carrie's room.

"Hey mom." I said when we walked into the room. I noticed that Carrie was awake. "Hey Carrie. How are you doing?"

"The doctor said I would be okay."

"That's great." I told her as I hugged her gently.

"Who is this young lady?" Mom asked.

"This is my cousin, Alpha Cindy." David told them.

"She's also my mate." I added.

Carrie and mom's eyes grew wide. Mom came up to Cindy and hugged her. "I'm glad Jake found you."

"Thanks. But I wish it didn't happen the way it did."

"It's not your doing or Carrie's. You two were right. Carrie was being controlled, by this." Mom placed a chip that loomed like it belonged in a computer on the table.

"That thing was inside me?" Carrie asked.

"Yes. It was implanted onto your spine. It seems to prevent you brain from sending signals to your muscles. And allows it to send signals from another source."

"But how did someone get it into her?" I asked. It's been years since she's seen a doctor or anything."

"It had to have been when she was abducted last year. That's the only time they would have had the chance."

"I really hate that guy."

"Who was he?" Cindy  asked.

"A rogue werewolf. Someone paid him to abduct Carrie, but we never found out who."

"What did they want?"

"We didn't know. But now, I think they wanted to use her to raise tensions between werewolves and vampires again."

"Have you called uncle Victor?" I asked.

"Not yet, but I did call Adam on the way over here." Mom told me. "He said that he would try to be here by tomorrow evening."

"I need to let the guards know that we're expecting more vampires." David said.

"Why? I haven't called Victor yet."

"Adam's not a vampire then?" Mom laughed.

"No, Adam is a werewolf."

"How do you know him?"

"He's my older brother."

"You're brother is a werewolf?" Cindy asked, surprised.

"Yes. I was adopted when I was just a year old."