chapter 1 (open for alteration)

• Dedicated to Clawdeen Johnson

" Angeline, you are late. Why?" professor Quin asked his best student. Angeline was out of breath. She pulled herself together enough to apologize to her professor. He dismissed her to her seat. She walked to the back of the room and took her seat. Her best friend Mayella, whom she calls May, gave her a questioning look. Angeline waved it off with a promise to talk after class. She was in enough trouble. She took the appropriate notes on how to effectively decapitate a mora-serpent. The disgusting beast was not one to messed with. They looked like a human from a distance but the closer you became to this disgusting thing the more monster like it looked. It had a tail with small poison-tipped spines and a head that would grow back when it was taken off. She wrote down the most crucial requirement ;that you cut off the shoulders with it. Then to keep the body from fixing itself you had to burn it immediately. Or you could always take a spine from its tail and shove it into its heart. 

Class ended as the bell rung. The girls walked out of class and Mayella looked at Angeline as they put away their notebooks and retrieved their swords instead. Angeline humphed and turned to her friend. 

" I was late because I ran into someone that needed a hand. He was in a fight and I stopped it before something bad happened to him. It was him against two upper-chairs. So, you know......" she trailed off as the boy she had helped appeared. Mayella tried to look at what she was seeing and her eyes landed right on target.  

"You helped Marcus Delouse? But he is insane and has some major anger issues." she asked. 

"Yes. She did help me. Is that a problem?" a softly deepend voice asked behind her. Mayella turned to face the angry, rude ,and incredibly sexy Marcus Delouse. He shoved his hands in his pockets and turned his face slightly to the left and took a step back being too close to Mayella for comfort. She went to the other side of Angeline to stay away from him but still stay close enough to pull her friend away in case Marcus tried something. She shook her head no. He nodded and regained the step. "I came to thank you for your help, Angeline."  

"How did you know my name?" Angeline asked. She uncounciously reached up to the necklace around her neck. He gestured to her hand. 

"Your name was ingraved on it. When you nealt down next to me your necklace caught my attention with the suns glare. I saw it." he shrugged it off as though it was normal to know anyone's name when they had never even seen each other until that day. Angeline smiled kindly. 

"Of course. It was no problem. I love to help people." she smiled. She closed her eyes to blink and was shocked to open them with Marcus hugging her. She blushed a little confused and waited for him to let go. She grabbed Mayella's wrist to steady herself. Marcus smiled at her and walked away. He paused mid-stride and turned on his heel.  

"You are your father's daughter. You think that maybe I can sit with you and your friend at mid-day break?" he asked. Angeline nodded not finding her voice. He smiled and walked away.

"Sure." He walked away, leaving a smile on her face.

"Oh my goodness, what did you do? Are you insane? Angeline, thats Marcus Delouse. The son of one of the most powerful knights. Have you not seen what he does to people who upset him?"

"So what May, he's nice to m and that's all that matters."

"So what? So what is that him and his brother are psychotic. They were only invited to this school because of the fact that everyone is terrified of the familiars. He's bad news and I don't feel comfortable."

"If you want you can spend the break with Joseph. I'm sure he would appreciate the time with you. You guys are soulmates."

"Hush, you know we aren't letting people know that. The Committee will expect us to be married by next year. We don't want that. We just want to be normal a little while longer."

"I know. But I don't know May. I feel something from him. Something special." Angeline looked her friend in the eye. Dare she ask?

"Special how? That his energy is off the charts even by Familiar standards or that he gets your body machine whirring?" she started laughing.

"Neither, God, just something about him pulls me closer. Like I want to be closer. Maybe even.."

"No, don't say it.. He can't be your soulmate. He's dangerous. I heard your father mention that either he or his brother were supposed be a traveler. We can only have one every cycle and there's been rumors that it will be him. You don't want to be near that insanity."

"I think you're just nervous. He isn't that bad."

"Whatever you say Angel. But something is off and I don't like it."

The girls walked their separate ways, Mayella to her theatre class and Angeline to her arts. Mayella secretly hoped her friend would forget about Marcus all together. Andrew, Marcus' identical twin brother entered the drama room with her.

"Hey Mayella." He said passing her and taking his seat behind where she sat.

She took her seat and took a deep breathe before turning around in her seat.

"Hey Andrew, let me ask you something. It's more of a favor really."