Chapter 2

The sun rose rather late that morning, at around eight AM, strewing beams of light across Jamie and Mark, both still asleep and still in each other's arms. When the light reached Jamie's face, she squinted, trying to protect her eyes. Slowly and carefully, she sat up, kissed Mark gently on the nose and walked to the window.

Jamie yawned and looked down to the already bustling streets of London three stories below her. Their hotel was right on the Thames River, and Jamie could even see little boats traveling the waters. It reminds me of when I used to go fishing with my dad...

Her flashback was interrupted by a pair of warm, strong arms being wrapped around her waist, holding her close. "Good morning my love." Jamie closed her eyes and smiled. "Good morning Mark." She replied. "Ready for our bible study?" Mark nodded and soon the two were sitting in their bed, holding the bible they shared and reading aloud together.

Jamie and Mark's wedding had been romantic and sweet, with a short reception that followed. Both Jamie and Mark agreed that dancing and long dinners weren't really their thing, so they opted for a dessert themed reception, full of cupcakes and other sweet treats. The highlight of the wedding to Jamie, besides marrying her best friend, was the bible highlighting tradition that Timothy and Hazel Black, Jamie's best friends had done.

As guests filed into the church's reception room after Mark and Jamie's ceremony, they were greeted not only by a guest book but also by an open bible. The guests chose one of the many colored highlighters, picked out and highlighted their favorite verse or verses and then wrote their name and what they highlighted on a piece of paper.

As the reception ended and Mark and Jamie prepared to leave for the beach cabana, they were handed the now highlighted bible, which they planned to use to study together on their honeymoon and beyond into the years when they started a family of their own.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." Jamie read aloud. "Isn't it just so amazing." Mark gave her a puzzled look, which she ignored and continued. "We could live 1,000 lifetimes and never be worthy enough to deserve God's grace, yet he gives it freely to those who decide to follow him."

Mark smiled. "You know, I could live 1,000 lifetimes and never be worthy enough to deserve your love, my dear." Jamie laughed and playfully punched Mark in the arm, silently reminding him that they were trying to study God's word. Mark refocused and they finished their study, stopping at the end to pray together before preparing for the day.

They both changed quickly, eager to start a new day of exploring the sights and sounds of London. Luckily, the hotel they were staying in served a free, hot breakfast everyday with a large variety of options. After a speedy meal, Mark led Jamie out into the streets and they began their day.

"So Jaimes," Mark often referred to Jamie as "Jaimes", though for what reason she didn't know, "I have a meeting today at around 11. It should only last an hours and you are welcome to come. Once it's over I'll be free for the rest of the day." Jamie frowned to herself, having forgotten that the main reason Mark had come to London was to attend a pastoral conference.

It's only five days, she thought to herself, and then we're off to France for a week and we can be together all day. She smiled and said that she would walk around one of the many parks in London while she waited. Mark was hesitant, not wanting to leave her alone, but Jamie assured him that she would be surrounded by other people in the park and would be safe.

At eleven, Mark reluctantly let go of Jamie's arm and stepped into the building where the meetings were to be held. Jamie walked to the nearest tourist station and asked for a map. Fortunately, she was only two blocks away from a rather nice park. After a brisk walk, Jamie sat down under and oak tree and closed her eyes, trying to take in all the sights, smells and sounds of London.