Chapter One

Chapter One:

        “So nice of you to finally show up, Nikolai.” Despite the edge to her voice, she looked genuinely happy to see him. I felt a flare of jealousy rise up in my chest. She shouldn't be happy, she waited 15 minutes to see this man, only for him to show up late. The loyalty I have for Nikolai is slowly shattering in the presence of this unnamed woman.

        “My deepest apologies Seraphina, I got caught up in dinner. Let's just say it ran a little... faster than expected.” His deep voice resonated across the barren land with a devilish smile tugging on the corner of his lips. “Now, let's talk business.”

        I see Nikolai embrace this alluring woman and walk into the cave. Realizing the absuridity of my behavior, I immediately stand up from my crouched position and leave. Maybe I'll find a late night snack. The thought brings a predatory smile on my face, showing my pointed canines, gleaming in the moonlight.

***

One Month Later

        Seraphina. Seraphina. Seraphina. I say her name over and over in my head like a chant, a plea. For what? For her to hear it somehow, maybe in the wind as it caresses her face, slipping through her hair. Or maybe she will hear my mind call out to her, how it yearns to feel her touch.

        It's been a month since I've seen her. A month since I've heard her beautiful, melodic voice. A month since I've first set eyes on this striking woman, Seraphina. I do not wish to feel this way towards her. She is the forbidden fruit. I'm not accustomed to having these types of feelings for a woman that is not my kind. I am an Eternal, a beast of the night. She is an Angel, a gift sent from the Heavens above.

        When will I see her again? Perhaps Nikolai has heard from her, the thought makes my jaw clench. Why do they seem so friendly towards each other? I remember the bright smile that lit up her face when she saw him. I couldn't help the flair of jealousy that rose up in my chest, remembering the way they comfortably embraced, like they were familiar with each other. I can't help but to wonder if they have been lovers a long while ago.

        At first glance, I would never have thought the innocent looking woman would be capable of such a scandalous thing. She is an angel, after all. Nikolai is the Ambassador of Eternals, one of the most feared creatures on this earth.I suppose it does make sense for them to be acquainted. The conversation that took place a month ago shed light onto what she was doing there. I recap on what Nikolai told me after their meeting.

        Adonai and Apollyon are on the brink of a war. It all started in the beginning. At first, there were no “bad” angels. Alastair was the one ruling the Heavens at the time, training Apollyon, his eldest son, to take over once he succeeds the Passing. The Passing is a test that is unique for every individual. One must visit a prophet after the coming of age, and is sent on a quest. If Apollyon fails the Passing, then the next oldest shall take his place. The next oldest just to happened to be Apollyon's younger brother, Adonai. Alastair, Adonai, and the rest of the angels whole heartedly had faith in Apollyon, despite his sometimes dark behavior.

        The day of the Passing arrived and Apollyon was sent on his quest. No one knows what exactly happened on his quest. All that is understood is, the small part of Apollyon that was dark slowly took over his mind and turned him into something truly evil. Apollyon failed his Passing. Upon coming to the realization of this, he murdered his father and his youngest sister, Tirion. He poisoned the minds of some warriors, convincing them to help him take Alastair off the throne. The poison slowly worked it's way into the minds of others in the Heavens. While this was happening, Adonai realized he needed to do something as the next successor for the throne. He went on his Passing and succeeded. He came home and rightfully took the throne, casting out Apollyon and the rest of the Tainted to the Lowerworld.

        Apollyon would not go quietly. His last act of vengeance before leaving was simple. Every angel born from then on would either have the Golden Mark or the Black Mark. At an angel's coming of age, they finally get their wings. A way to truly know if they are one of the Tainted is the Mark. The outer part of the wing would either be lined in gold or black, but only briefly. You see, every angel's wings are unique, it's like a finger print. When they first get their wings, they are white. Individual colors and markings appear as they get older. During the Ceremony, the time they get their wings, they will glow white and gold or white and black. The glowing will fade as the ceremony ends.

        It is not involuntary. Every angel has a choice. They choose light or darkness, good or evil. If they decide good, they will stay in the Heavens. If they decide evil, they will be sent to the Lowerworld. They cannot lie. The color of the wings will be based on what they truly feel inside, where they would belong.

        After decades of rotting in the Lowerworld, Apollyon and the Tainted have had enough. They no longer wish to reside in the sinful place, they wish to roam freely, going wherever they please. The barricade around the Heavens is slowly decimating into pieces. The Tainted are pushing and they won't stop until they get what they want. Everyone is tense, ready for war.

        Seraphina is to take over the Heavens if something is to happen to Adonai before his reign ends. Only once Tirion II, Adonai's eldest, has completed her Passing, Seraphina is allowed to step down. Being the King of Heavens means that Adonai can never leave while he is reigning. He has sent Seraphina to earth, seeking allies with the ambassadors of all the different dimensions for aid in the upcoming war.

        This is what I have gathered of Seraphina's meeting with Nikolai last month. Nikolai being the Ambassador of Eternals, pledge that the angles have our support. Let's just hope this war never arrives. It would be best for everyone if Apollyon remains in the Lowerworld where he belongs with his Tainted.