NINE

REAL LIFE

SIMON WAS JOGGING DOWN THE STAIRS OF THE APARTMENT COMPLEX - HE COULDN'T STAY IN THAT APARTMENT A SECOND LONGER AS ALL HE COULD FOCUS ON WAS HOW CLOSE HIS EX WAS STANDING NEXT TO HIS FRIEND AND THE WAY HER WHOLE BODY GLOWED WHEN SHE SMILED, AND THE WAY WILL STARED AT HER - IN A HOPE THAT THE EXERCISE WOULD DISTRACT HIS MIND, WHEN HE BUMPED INTO A FAMILIAR HAPPY BRUNETTE.

"Leaving already?" Taila smirked, leaning on the handrail as Simon tried to catch his breath; the small peace of mind now nowhere to be seen as his mind swarmed with thoughts of Cleo. Taila had been on her way back up the stairs and her tied up curls bobbed as she tilted her head to look up at him (the stair difference making him tower more than usual), her red lipstick made her teeth shine.

He nodded in response, as he panted heavily and hunched over slightly; yet he was still taller than her.

"Are you alright?" She asked with a cocked head, her playful air had now been replaced with concern. Taila was such a sweet and kind girl but Simon didn't know how to explain how he felt, whatever it was it definitely wasn't 'alright'.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm fine" He pressed on a smile as he looked up at the girl but she wasn't convinced for a second, yet she decided to let it go.

"I was actually just looking for you" She said, her smile returning as she swiftly stepped up a stair so she was closer to Simon, now only two steps separating them. He could smell the slight tinge of alcohol on her and wondered if that's why she seemed so giddy and confident.

"Hmm, you were? What's up?" He questioned innocently, his gaze was focused behind her on the large double doors; he just wanted to go home. He wanted to go to bed and sleep so he could finally escape these swarming thoughts, but he wasn't sure if they would leave him alone in his dreams. He wasn't sure if he wanted them to. At least in his dreams he could pretend everything wasn't so stale at the moment.

"Well umm..." She fiddled with a strand of hair that was loose from her messy ponytail, she seemed self conscious and shy now and even though his mission was to leave as fast as possible, he turned his attention to her and stepped down a stair. Now one step keeping them apart.

"Taila, what's up?" His face crinkled with worry and he instinctively reached out his hand to touch her arm comfortingly, his fingers curling around her sleeve gently. This action made her smile and she lifted her head up to look into his eyes, she felt more confident now, ready to propose what she'd been thinking for a while.

"Well I was wondering if maybe sometime you and me could go out?" She nodded even though Simon was supposed to answer the question, she quickly added "But like not as friends, if you get me"

"Oh" He sighed, his brows edged up slightly with shock and he let his hand fall subconsciously, the lack of warmth on her arm making her feel uncomfortable enough to shuffle from foot to foot. That was not what he expected whatsoever. He got her but he didn't want to.

"I'm sorry I can't" He sighed, even though he was single he didn't want to go on a date with Taila, sure she was pretty and sweet and kind and funny but she wasn't Cleo. A few months prior, for a while, he thought maybe he could be with her and was actually so close to asking her out on a date himself but she never seemed interested. But now he didn't want anyone to be his girlfriend if it wasn't Cleo. He felt a little guilty that he thought about saying yes for just a second, as if he'd betrayed Cleo when they hadn't been together for almost a year. He just still had feelings for her. But it was obvious hers had withered away.

"Oh" The sound caught in Taila's throat and her face went slack but she soon reigned it back in with a forced smile "Okay, that's cool"

Before either of them could say another word Taila brushed past him and up the stairs, her pace quicker than necessary.

Simon let out a harsh sigh and swore under his breath, he felt guilty for making her uncomfortable and declining her, but he would have felt worse if he'd agreed and thought about Cleo the whole time. Which was what was on his mind right now, and on his mind as he entered his empty house as the other guys remained clueless and happy at the party.

Cleo stayed on his mind as he drifted to sleep; his last thought was the recollections of her in his arms as they slept in his bed, she was safe and secure and predictable in his arms. He had thought it would last forever, he'd take it for granted; and the warm picture was now fading from his memory.