Chapter 19

Keith groaned as he heaved the last of the supplies into the bed of his truck, the supplies that hunk had just dumped at his feet earlier today. 'I can't believe I let myself get talked into this' he thought, with a scowl plastered to his sharp features. He looked up at the sky, using his hand to shield his eyes from the blazing sun.

Keith lowered his head again and sighed in relief that all of the supplies were finally loaded. First stressful part of the day Over! though...there would be many more to come.

"C'mon Keith, it won't be so bad," Hunk comes up behind him and claps a big hand on his shoulder sympathetically. Keith shakes it off, turning and walking back towards their dorm building.

"Let's just get ready so we can go." Despite his moodiness Hunk seems unusually lenient about it, probably not wanting to make the day any harder by pointing it out.

Pidge and Allura arrive with Shiro and Lance in tow carrying all their bags with Allura being the most excited out of all of them.

Keith's heart skipped a few beats when he saw Lance for the first time in a while and the first time since... then. He looked awkward, tugging at the sleeves of his shirt almost compulsively. Keith looked away from him quickly as their eyes met, and he started walking faster, away from the small group.

The inside of the dorm is a lot colder without the heat of the sun, but Keith needed a breather. He closes the bathroom door behind him and takes a huge breath. You already messed it up he tells himself over and over, he's not gonna want to talk to you anymore, he must think you hate him.

Overwhelmed, he leans over the sink and breathes, eyes closed as his mind runs over all the possible outcomes of the day.

He splashes his face with water to rid himself of the images and cringes when he realises the effect it's had on a part of his face. He can't see that. No one can. Keith quickly reapplied the foundation before jumping as harsh knocks hit against the door.

"Keith, c'mon, we have to leave soon. We're behind schedule!" Pidge's strained voice says from behind the door.

"Coming." Keith he shouts back, stealing one last look into the mirror before hesitantly leaving the dorm and rejoining the others that were gathered around the two cars.

______

Lance swung his duffle bag over his shoulder, biting his lip to stop himself from crying. Keith ran off after he arrived. All his hopes of saving their friendship were crashing and burning right before his eyes, He had so much fear this wouldn't work out and it isn't. Keith still hasn't looked at him since returning to the group.

Does he hate me that much? The thought echoed through his head.

"Uh Lance, are you even listening?" Pidge's demanding voice broke through his train of thought.

"Huh? What uh no... sorry.." he said sheepishly. Pidge sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration.

"We were just discussing seating. We figured that since you and Keith decided last minute that you wanted to come, you can both ride in his truck. Is that cool with you?" she asked flatly. Lance's eyes widened and then shot over to where Keith was standing, their eyes met and they both looked away.

"I-I guess it's okay..." he muttered, unable to decline.

"Alright then, it's settled!" She slammed shut her planning notebook. "Everyone! Get into your designated vehicles. There will be no swapping of passengers between the two cars and we are only stopping once for food and bathroom so we can stay on schedule. Am I clear?!" She glowered at everyone and there was a collective affirmative from the group. They scattered, everyone maneuvering to their assigned seats, leaving Lance and Keith standing alone. Keith gives Lance a brief look of sadness before it fades into a blank stare.