08 ; RAY

tw ;; ace uses a derogatory term and rose throws up

"I bet we saved over an hour coming through the woods," said Gordie

"Yeah, most definitely," Rose agreed.

Gordie stopped, nodding towards the pathway. "Teddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Is this the Back Harlow road?"

"Yeah."

"Brower kid must be around here someplace. Teddy, you and Vern watch the left side of the tracks. Rosie, you'll take the right with us."

Rose could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she searched for a body. She didn't know what to expect. Vern's words from the day before repeated over and over in her head.

"There he is!" Vern pointed out. "I see him! Look! Look over there! I see him, I see him!"

Everyone gathered around to see. Rose gulped, his legs the only thing that could be seen. They got closer and stood over him. Chris grabbed a stick and pushed the branch off of his face. Rose gulped, Ray Brower's dead body putting her in a state of shock.

"I think I'm gonna be sick, man," Rose whispered. "I'll go over here. Don't mind me, I'm just gonna go here..."

"Jesus," Chris muttered. He watched Rose walk away from the group and hide behind a tree. "Okay. Let's look for some long branches. We'll build him a stretcher."

Gordie sat down on a log, his mind a whirlwind.

"Gordie?" Chris sat next to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

"Why did he have to die?"

"What's the matter with Gordie?" Vern asked.

"Nothing. Just go look for some branches, okay?"

"Why did he have to die, Chris?" Gordie repeated. "Why did Denny have to die? Why?"

"I don't know..."

"It should have been me."

"No, don't say that."

"It should have been me!"

Rose walked towards the two boys, her eyes focused on the now sobbing Gordie.

"I'm no good. My dad said it, I'm no good!" he wailed.

"He doesn't know you."

"He hates me!"

"Gordie, he doesn't hate you. Parents are weird. They lost their kid and this is their weird way of mourning. Soon, they'll realize what they're doing and they'll be sorry," said Rose.

"He hates me, Rose."

"He doesn't hate you," says Chris. "He just doesn't know you."

"My dad hates me, oh God, he hates me!"