Chapter 40

Ryder's Point-of-View

I lay on the cold, wet floor bleeding from my head and underneath my ribs. My hands and feet are bound by rope.

I try to get up but I can't. The gash is so deep that it has me almost immobile. Looking down, I see how bad it is.

It's very bad!

I cough and wince in pain. The crimson liquid oozes out, making a small pool of blood on the ground next to me. How long have I been lying here? Hours?

It also feels like I have been going in and out of consciousness.

A couple of hours ago, I had arrived at this abandoned warehouse. Parking the car half a mile up the road, I jogged the rest of the way here.

I took out about a dozen or so of Max's men. How he was able to amass such a small army in such a short time surprised me.

As soon as I reached Mr. and Mrs. Hallowell, I saw they were bound and gagged. They started yelling something but it was too late. A tall, dark-skinned man hit me from behind with both fists!

I fell onto the concrete floor. I shook my head and got back up. That blow was enough to knock me out. I was glad it didn't but I couldn't get my bearings.

Once I was on my feet, the guy picked me up and threw me against a big, steel beam. I hit a jagged piece protruding out of it, which stabbed me. I fell onto the floor hard and rolled onto my back, groaning in pain.

The pain was so unbearable! I held my side, trying to get up. The man was going to grab me but I pulled my gun out and shot at him twice!

He put his arm up. My mouth dropped when I saw he didn't flinch! In fact, he started to laugh!

"Is that all you got?" He asked digging the bullets out of his arm. Mrs. Hallowell screamed in horror.

He looked at the bloody bullets in his hand and dropped them carelessly. "Let's hurry this along. Once I'm done with you, I have to go pay your girl a visit. How easy it was to find out they weren't staying at an actual hotel."

My heart sunk. He knew where Sam and LeAnn were? If I had this much trouble with him, LeAnn would have to put up the fight of her life.

I went to punch him, but he fell on one knee and hit my oozing wound. The pain was excruciating. I fell to the ground wanting to cry out in pain, but no sound came out.

It hurt to breathe, to move, to do anything. I got on my knees, looking down as I covered my wound with my hand. Blood continued seeping between my fingers.

I turned and realized Mr. Hallowell was trying to calm his wife down. She was crying hysterically. He then turned back at me with a look of hopefulness and guilt. His entire family was going to be killed.

The man suddenly walked up to me, smiling, and kicked me straight in the face. Knocking me out.

The steel door opens with a groan. Two guards come in and stand me up. I yell in pain!

"Boss wants a moment of your time," the one on the right says, grinning at me.

They drag me out of the room and take me down a flight of stairs, onto the first floor of the building.

I see Samantha's parents!

They are both still bound and gagged.

Mrs. Hallowell is crying. Max is standing behind them with his arms crossed.

A shallow smile paints his face.

"Well look who we have here! It's one of the guests of honor," Max says walking around Mrs. Hallowell.