Parting is such a Sweet Sorrow

***
(Jema said)

I couldn't move for hours. From a love story that began with a staredown, I was left alone--staring at nothingness.

The rain started falling but my feet were stubborn enough to stay--I just let the rain disguise my tears.

My breathing was becoming heavier as I continued crying. I clutched my chest--realizing I still had Deanna's necklace on. I was suddenly gasping for air.

I pulled off the necklace since it was ssuffocating me. I threw away the necklace that represented Deanna's broken promise.

***
(Deanna said)

The moment I left Jema at the park, I ran as fast as I could to be farther away from her. I was afraid to give myself a chance to take it back--because I would have.

It started raining but I forced myself to continue running and tire myself out. I thought that way I would not feel the pain... but I was wrong. The thought of Jema out of my life was piercing my heart deeper and deeper.

I went back to the park selfishly wishing that Jema would still be there... that despite the rain she would still be persistent to stop me from committing the biggest mistake of my life. But she wasn't... and I couldn't blame her.

I was surprised when I saw my necklace hanging from the bush beside the bench we sat on. Jema must have left it there just like how I abandoned my promise of fighting for us.

My phone rang and without checking who it was I answered--sadly it was not Jema.

"You won," I said full of anger. "Are you happy now, Dad?"

"Hindi mo na dapat pinaabot sa ganito. The ball was in your hand all along," he sounded victorious. "When do you want to go to Paris?"

"Book me a flight from Cebu tomorrow night."

"Why don't you stay longer in Cebu?"

"Book me a flight from Cebu tomorrow night." I stayed firm.

"Okay, okay..."

"Honor your word, Dad. Don't bother Jema and her family ever again."

"Of course. A deal is a deal."

Then I hang up. I finally let the tears stream down my face.