Chapter 1 - Prior the Fall

Hello Reader! This is a Reader Insert fanfiction, which means you, the reader, are the main character of the story! Whenever you see [Name], insert your name or any name you wish (e.g., OCs), but do not comment them. This may also include inserts like [Surname], where you can use a preferred last name. I hope you enjoy, and please do have fun with your creative imagination~

______________________________

nagajuban - under kimono / hakama - loose trousers with many pleats in the front / obi - sash / bokken - wooden sword / hana kanzashi - traditional flower hair ornament / bakeneko - cat monster
_______________________________

-110 years prior to the events of Bleach-

Yoruichi Shihōin had once mentioned that Byakuya Kuchiki had a short fuse. Despite that, he was still the next head of the illustrious Kuchiki Clan, which made you the more eager to meet him.

After years of many attempts to find your betrothed, Ryosuke [Surname] had almost given up. He was inclined to just select the next family who had made an offer and be done with the entire ordeal, but he knew that you would make that impossible. You were daring and unafraid, and despite the power and influence that your father held, he still wanted your happiness above everything else, even if it meant making his goals harder to achieve.

When they got through with the last marriage proposal, which was as unsuccessful as anyone had expected, Ryosuke had received a letter from an old friend, one Ginrei Kuchiki. It had been a while since their clans had gotten together, but the way you had fawned over the young heir of the Kuchiki clan did not go unnoticed. Ryosuke should have known that the boy was the reason you had shown little to no interest in any other, but this letter from Ginrei seemed to finally lift a weight from his shoulders.

Once your father had informed you of the news, you made no effort to hide your elation and the rosy pink color that stained your cheeks. 

~~~

DAY 1 -

The sun was still high in the sky, and the spring breeze swept through and rustled your kimono as your mother took you on the usual afternoon stroll. When the sights and turns were no longer familiar, you asked your mother if there was anything special going on today. When you turned the next corner, a grand manor towered before you. The crest on the largest edifice only belonged to one family, and everything clicked shortly after you recognized it. No other family had the wealth and influence within this part of the Soul Society. Beholding the estate like this, however, it's hard to imagine that anyone could own it.

"Welcome, [Name]-chan," she began with a smile, "to the Kuchiki estate."

The inexorable thoughts of your future here were overwhelming, though all the more curious. You walked through the outer gate with your mother, greeted by brief nods from the Kuchiki guard, and made an attempt to mask your youth by not looking too interested. A servant guided the two of you within the grounds of the estate, passing through doors and doors until the servant stopped and gestured you inside.

"Ah, Ayase," said a voice, "A pleasure to have you here today." The man it belonged to appeared to be elderly, with a bushy but kempt mustache and long gray hair. As he donned the haori of a Gotei Thirteen captain, you became extremely aware of whose presence you beheld.

"Hello, Ginrei," your mother replied with a nod and genuine smile.

"This must be your daughter," he said upon noticing the quiet and beautifully-dressed girl beside her mother. He gave you a gentle smile, knowing you withheld your speech as a means of respect and temperance.