Chapter 4; The Lecture

(Told from Loki's point of view)

The next day, rumors and whispers followed us everywhere. I was overcome with giggles all throughout the day, mostly just because I heard people talking about flying rainbows very often. But despite that, Harry and Ron were both sullen, and I knew why. Ever since breakfast, things seemed to go downhill.

When the morning post came, an Asgardian raven flew into the hall and landed in front of me. It dropped the pristine letter in his beak on the table, and flew off. There was an Asgardian seal on it.

I pocketed the letter to read later, and it was lucky I did, because Ron was having his own problems.

"Oh no." He whispered, his eyes as big as saucers. He was staring at a bright scarlet envelope, and was looking at it as if it was going to explode. "She's sent me a howler."

"A what?" I ask, staring at it as well.

"Screaming letter." Neville explains. "Explodes if you don't open it."

"Oh." I say unpleasantly. Now I knew why Ron was wearing that shocked expression on his face.

"You better open it, get it over with." Neville urged. "My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it, and..." he gulped. "It was horrible."

The scarlet envelope started to smoke at the corners. Ron was looking at it like a band-aid that he didn't want to rip off. For a second it puffed up like a bomb, and at that moment Ron ripped it open, and I first thought it had exploded. Mrs. Weasley's voice filled the great hall, shaking dust from the ceiling.

It screamed at Ron, telling him about how furious they were at him, about what his dad had to do at work, but I was barely listening. I set my head down on the table and covered my ears to drown out the intense screaming of the letter. When the hall went silent, I figured it was safe to pick my head off of the table.

Ron looked shocked. I looked over at Hermione to see what she thought, but she just closed her book and told Ron he deserved it. Ron didn't seem very happy about that comment.

"Well." I breathe, snatching my letter off of the table and standing up. "At least my letter doesn't breathe fire or something of the sort, or does it?"

My eyes twinkle at Ron, who scowls at me as I walk out of the great hall.

On the bright side, Hermione seemed to think that the Howler had been a good enough punishment, and was being friendly to us again.

On the way to Herbology, I opened my letter as well. Lucky for me, it didn't scream at me, or breathe fire, it just sat on my hands, and I read over it, noting Frigga's neat cursive handwriting.

Dear Loki,

I'm becoming slightly concerned about our secrecy. When we received a letter from your school I was worried enough, but when I discovered that you used the Bifrost to transport your friends to school, I thought that was enough to intervene.

I don't know what you're playing at, but this is a big problem. I take Asgard's secrets very seriously, and if you're using its main form of transportation to teleport your friends from place to place, I become slightly worried. Next time something like this happens, do not use the Bifrost so openly. We know that Midgardians already know something of us, but as terribly inaccurate myths. Let's not give them the chance to discover that Asgard is a real place.

I hope you have fun this year, but please remember this letter. You have been warned. Odin knows about this too, and he is terribly disappointed in you. I thought we raised you to make better decisions.

With love,

Frigga

I wasn't comforted by this letter. I knew I screwed up badly, Frigga didn't need to tell me that. But it hurt for her to say that they raised me to make better decisions. I pocketed the letter.