Chapter One

"The Scariest thing about distance, is that you'll never know when they'll miss or forget you."

__________

I walked through the halls of Washington High School. It's my Junior year here, and so far, everyday has been a nightmare. 

"Lauren!" I heard someone call from behind me. I sighed and turned around on my heels to see Xander running through the halls torward me. I turned back around and began briskly walking torwards my next class. Once I turned a corner I felt a hand griping my wrist, preventing me from moving.

"Xander," I whispered slowly turning around to look at him. "Let go."

"I thought I told you to leave. Why are you still here." He hissed, his green eyes burning with anger and disgust. "We don't want people like you here. Face it you're not wanted anywhere." His grip on my wrist finally started to loosen up. "Now, you better walk out of here, before we make you." He threw my wrist against the wall next to us, and walked away furiously, leaving me alone in a hallway, sliding down against the wall with my head in my hands.

____________

Home is supposed to be the place where the heart is, it's to bad 'Home' is my place of fear. 

I quietly walked through the front door of my house, hoping that my parents were'nt home yet. They are the kind of parents that are hard on you, but their reason isn't because they love you. Their number one thing that would make them go off, is if we lie, even though the biggest lie I have ever told is, 'I'm fine.'        

"Jace?" I whispered. "Jace? Are you home?" I saw my little brother peek out from a little crack in the door. 

"Lauren?" He used his hand to gesture me torwards him. "Mom is still at work, but Dad got off early." My breathing began to hitch at that thought. "Don't worry, he hasn't noticed you aren't home yet, if you hurry, you might still be able to make it upstairs." I nodded my head and hurried up the stairs to my room. I was in way over my head when I thought that I would be able to make it upstairs without my father noticing me. But of course, it being me, I had no such luck.

____________

I couldn't do it anymore. School is getting way out of hand. There are those people who won't even look at me, and the ones who don't even notice I'm there. I wasn't going to go today, that's it. I wasn't going to go home either. I packed up as much as I could fit in my backpack, without my books of course, and walked out into the living room. My parents couldn't suspect anything if I only had my backpack, it would look like I'm going to school.

My parents were'nt in the kitchen, so I took the liberty of taking some food and water to stuff in my backpack. Once I was finished I walked right through the door, not thinking twice. The big life lesson that everyone keeps throwing at me is 'Conquer your fears' and here I am, running away from them.

____________