If Only (Prologue)

The moment you assume that you have everything you can ever ask for, but in reality you are left with nothing but a void. The moment you see yourself totally engulfed in darkness but suddenly you witness a small ray of white light, a ray of hope. The moment you see a large ball of fire, racing towards you, ought to burn you down. You pull up your hands in defense, and the ball freezes by your touch. This is the exact moment you realize, nothing is the same, anymore. Whether for the good or for the bad. Things are changed. You are changed.

" Don't give up........... We are almost there. Keep breathing............Please, don't give up."

" What's her name?"

" I don't know."

" Where did you find her?"

" It doesn't MATTER..!!"

"Okay! Calm down.....We'll try our best!"

Jacob's hands slipped off the stretcher as the door of the operation theatre closed in front of him, leaving him unsettled and alone, standing in the long hall way.

He kept waiting by the door for an hour, pacing through the hall and taking a seat occasionally only to stand up and start pacing again. Nothing was able to take away that dreadful view he witnessed on the street side, while he was on duty. It was true, nothing ever left him so overwhelmed before this. After a few hours, as he slumped over the chair, resting his head over his crossed hands, the door of the operation theatre clicked open. 

"Mr. Thompson?" The doctor called out.

Jacob looked towards the source of the voice and shot up from his chair. "That would be me." He replied in a hasty tone.

The doctor walked up to Jacob, stared at him and let out a sharp exhale, "Who is she to you?"

Jacob studied through his face for a while and replied in a weary tone, "No one."

"You never looked so worn out, Mr. Thompson."

"It....I felt bad for her."

The doctor peeled down his eyes and nodded to himself, registering his words.

"Well, for now we have given her the necessary medications. But, this is serious." The doctor started in a concerned tone. "She is suffering from severe malnutrition. And she has bruises all over her." Completing his sentence he looked up at Jacob.

Jacob' s eyes widened at the utter of his words. Without replying to his words he swallowed in a gulp, "It means....."

"There are signs of abuse and I...... I fear, this is not just a few days affair." He continued while Jacob silently kept taking in his input," Repeated, prolonged torment."

Jacob averted his gaze from the doctor, and pulled in his lower lip in an attempt to control his accelerated breaths.

Doctor sighed deeply and patted his shoulder before walking out of the place.

Jacob took baby steps towards the big black door of the operation theatre and peeped in through the small glass opening.  His eyes fell on the girl, lying peacefully over the hospital bed, attached to various equipments. But, not even the sedative could iron out the crease of concern off her forehead. He thought to himself, "Tell me girl, are you one of them?"

The moment you spent your seconds, counting your last breath, but witness a new, wider path carved for you, to walk upon. A new life, on the either side, in its full glory, eager to wrap you into a warm embrace. You are changed.

An year ago;

Savannah, USA

I took a last look at my reflection on the mirror and a grin curved over my lips. Corvett has gifted me this dress. A light pink fabric, so soft that my hands seemed be gliding over it with ease. This man definitely has a nice choice. He knows how to make me happy. Well, I believe no one made me feel so alive as he does.