Chapter 6

Here's the next chapter! I have to say, this is my favorite of the three stories I'm doing right now. Probably because I play the violin myself and some of these scenes are fantasies from my childhood, such as playing the violin on the beach and enchanting everyone around me. :D Anyways, I hope you like it! PLEASE vote, it really helps and it only takes a second! And tell me what you think! :)

EDIT: I'm going to add either a video, picture or both to all chapters, so always check out the media section! :)

************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 6

Ailsa cried out several times that night. Arthur tightened his arms around her and brushed his lips against her forehead, trying to sooth away the nightmares. Her lips quivered despite the warm air. He couldn't help but feel protective of her; she seemed so fragile. And yet she had strength. She had gone through hell, but she could still smile. She had wounds far deeper than his, and yet her will to live and enjoy life was greater than his ever was.

He hoped that in some small way, he could help her heart heal, just as her kindness and joy was helping his own heart to mend. It was true; she was the first person to make him laugh in a very long time. She had a way of seeing right into his soul and placing a seed of joy there.

His eyes opened as he felt her stirring. The sun was rising; morning was here. She looked a little disoriented at finding him next to her, then she seemed to remember. She lay on her side facing him, his arms still around her. “Ye stayed with me all night? Ye didnae have to do that.” Her voice was soft and husky from sleep. “I couldnae leave ye, ye were so upset. What happened?”

Her eyes were distant as she responded. “My father used to bring me here. He carved the birds into the trees to mark the way to our favourite place. The birds were special to us.” She told him about her father's story of the birds and the angel. Arthur smiled. “Yer da was a wise man.” Ailsa smiled too, but her smile faded quickly.

“When I saw that place, memories came flooding back; memories I had forced myself to forget. I saw the raid that killed everyone I knew, including my father.” She told him the whole story. His arms tightened around her as a few tears slipped down her cheeks. “I never allowed myself to grieve; I couldn't show Angus any weakness. When I came out of the room after they burned the bodies, I had sealed myself up inside. The only time I truly felt alive was when I could sneak away to play da's fiddle.” More tears came, and she buried her head into his chest, hugging him back. He let her cry, knowing that she needed to release the emotion.

**********************

Ailsa snuggled closer to Arthur's chest. The tears had stopped, but the pain was still there. She knew he could see it in her eyes, and he held her a bit tighter. She knew she should be shocked at her unladylike behaviour with a man she barely knew, but somehow she felt safe with him. He had rescued her, comforted her, and respected her physical boundaries. Men cut from this cloth were few and far between. And it didn't help that he was incredibly handsome; although Ailsa was not so shallow as to care for a man based on his looks or position in life. She would rather have an ugly man with nothing, but who would love her and protect her, than a man or looks and wealth who made her unhappy. But Arthur seemed to encompass all of these good qualities- even the wealth. But why would he risk so much for a slave girl? And why was he travelling so far on horseback when he could have chartered a boat or carriage and travelled in comfort?

She wanted to ask him about his pain, but she knew that he needed to be ready to tell her. For now, she would wait and try to make that smile resurface again. He looked so handsome when he smiled.