TEN

I sat in the corner of the room, drinking away. The music blasted in my ears and the lights danced around the room.

Everyone went to do something else. Everyone but Luke went to dance or talk to someone else, and Luke said he needed to take care of something after his phone rang, so I haven't seen him since.

I was bored out of my mind, and I'm sitting here sulking in my own thoughts, hoping the alcohol can take them away.

I needed to get past this. I came here to forget my old life, to not think about it. I wanted to leave all my problems behind, but for some reason, I can't forget them, even when they're hundreds of miles away.

Why couldn't I just relax here? Why couldn't I not care what happens to my mother and her fiancé? Why couldn't I start over?

Maybe it takes time to completely live a new life. Maybe it takes time to forget the past and move on. Maybe it takes time to accept what already happened.

I took another shot after thinking about it again. The alcohol not doing much to help forget my problems.

I turned to look at the dance floor. Everyone looked like they were having so much fun, and all their troubles seemed to have faded away.

I sighed and decided it was worth a try. I stood up, putting my shot glass on the table, and made my way to the dance floor.

The more I swayed to the beat of the terrible music, the more relaxed I felt. Maybe this is what I needed.

I let my body take over and danced with a few guys. I was having fun surprisingly. My thoughts of my old life flew out of my head, and my mind was clear.

I felt someone wrap their arms around my waist and move with my body. I turned around to see who it was and instantly moved away.

Mitch.

He pulled me back to him and moved his face near my ear.

"You look so delicious."

I shivered and not in a good way. I tried to push him off of me, but he tightened his grip.

"I'm not interested." I spat.

He smirked. He brought his hand up to my hair and twirled a strand around his finger. "I don't really care. Don't you think it's selfish Luke keeps you all to himself, Lila?"

My eyes widened when I heard my name come from his mouth.

"That's right; I know your name. I know a lot of things about you." He said.

I stiffened. He couldn't possibly know about...

"But what I don't understand is why you moved here...you could have stayed with your mother in New York. Why would you leave that life to come here? It makes no sense."

I relaxed a little. He didn't know. A new song came on, and he started to dance again, running his hands all over me. I pushed him away again and tried to make a run for it.

He grabbed my upper arm and pulled me to him. I didn't know what to do at this point, so I punched him...square in the nose.

He let go of me for a second, and I tried to run again, but he pulled me back the next second.

I saw his wind up to punch me, and I shut my eyes tightly, waiting for the pain to start.

It never came.

I slowly opened my eyes to see a very pissed Luke. His hand looked like caught Mitch's.

Mitch let me go, and I quickly got behind Luke.

"Were you really going to hit her?" Luke scoffed. His whole stance oozed with power and authority. Even I was afraid of him at that moment, but I knew better. Luke wouldn't do anything to me.

"She hit me." Mitch pathetically spat.

"Maybe if you let go of her, she wouldn't have to hit you." Luke angrily snapped.

"Oh come on, Luke. Don't tell me you don't think about her underneath you screa—" He was cut off when Luke punched him in the stomach.

Luke stepped forward to most likely really mess him up, so I quickly stepped in front of him.

I rubbed Luke's bicep and whispered in his ear. "He's not worth it."

He just angrily stared at Mitch groaning on the ground. I sighed and stepped aside. He was going to do what he wanted anyway.

Luke picked Mitch up by the collar, his eyes fully of fury.

"Stay away from her."

Luke threw him back on the ground and turned around. Luke grabbed my upper arm and dragged me out of the house. He slammed open the front door and walked down the street.

He unlocked his car and pushed me inside, slightly slamming the door. He sat on his side and took a deep breath.

"What were you thinking?" He hissed.

I gulped. "I was dancing...then he started dancing with me." I mumbled.

"You were dancing with him?!" He boomed.

I frantically shook my head. "Well...kind of. He came up behind me, and I turned around to see who it was. When I saw it was him, I tried to push him away, but he just pulled me back every time." I quickly explained, looking down, suddenly finding my hands really interesting.

I heard him sigh. I felt finger under my chin, lifting it so I was looking into his eyes.

"Just..." He paused. "Don't do anything alone next time." He let out.

I nodded.

"So...where did you learn to throw a punch like that?" He teased. I could tell he was trying to make the mood lighter.

"You do remember that I used to live in New York, where there are plenty of dangerous places that I've walked alone in, right?" I chuckled.

He laughed too. "How did you make it here alive?" He humorously asked.

"I don't know myself." I giggled.