2

Turns out the blondie wasn't the only new kid joining us this year. I saw her standing with a taller, unknown girl with the same green eyes as her, and despite their resemblance they had completely different faces. The taller girl smiled at the blonde and began tying her long black hair into a pony tail. The bell rang and I took a breath in as I walked to my locker, next to them. I could hear their conversations now.
"Marina," said the dark haired girl. "You sure you're gonna be okay? You're younger than most of the kids in your grade, I'm sure mum could've enrolled you into the grade below..."
The blonde, whose name must be Marina replied with a sigh and response,
"So? I'm fine, really. One girl already offered to show me around."
I stifled a laugh. The girl who offered was either Kenzie, the perfectionist class captain or Megan, an asshat.
Without realising until I was speaking, I stood up straight and hopped into the conversation.
"That girl," I said, earning a glare from the older girl, "was she brunette or ginger?" I asked, throwing my bushy ponytail over my shoulder.
Marina went a little quiet before giving me the answer, and I frowned.
"She was ginger, why does it matter?"
"Yeah, Megan will probably leave you hanging or give you misinformation. I knew Kenzie was still on holiday leave..."
The older girl rolled her eyes and went to take Marina's arm when I reached out my hand.
"By the way, I'm Bella. I could take you around if you'd-"
"We're good, thanks. The older one said, taking Marina by the wrist and slamming the locker door. I sighed, before heading to my own Homeroom. From the distance I could head Marina talking to the girl again.
"Daneri! I appreciate it, really, but I'm not a kid anymore!"
"So? maybe you should see a teacher for help instead of some rando who doesn't even know you-"
"No-one knows me! In case you forgot, I just moved here." She said, exasperated.
I slowed my walking and turned away from them. I was fashionably late to Homeroom like normal and ended up plonking myself at a random desk.
My phone buzzed and I slid it out of my pocket and hid it under the desk. It was Varus.
Varus: new girl in class
Me: tall, dark hair, bitchy?
Varus: the first 2 yeah
Varus: what, did you fight her already
Me: lol no
Me: just witnessed and had a bad first impression
Varus: ok then

I sighed and clicked the phone closed. I took in my surroundings. A tall brown haired guy was sleeping on the desk next to me and a curly haired blonde looked to him longingly. The teacher was probably scrolling Facebook and some Very Cool And Rebellious™️ girls were laughing and sticking tongues out on Snapchat in the back. A guy with dark hair and one pierced ear, (probably vapes too) looked at then and smirked. His friend shifted uncomfortably. Other girls were trash talking their soccer team and a group of boys sat in silence in their phones, occasionally throwing banter at each other and sharing a meme.

I wasn't the latest arrival though. My friend Melanie waddled in, picking at her nail polish. Bianca followed with headphones in. I definitely have other friends, I'm just a loner in my Homeroom. Just as the teacher was going to call roll, Marina entered the room. Heads raised across the room and she looked to he ground shyly. I smirked, which was kinda my resting face. She tried to squeeze past the teacher standing in the doorway, -probably scrolling through Facebook looking for where her high school sweetheart was today- but failed. The teacher held out an arm and looked up with a casual, tired smile.

Marina looked very uncomfortable as the homeroom teacher asked her name, then introduced her. Being suddenly very aware of my surroundings, I heard some guys behind me start whispering as they do whenever a new girl comes to the class. Megan stood from her desk with a stupid smile and walked to the front. Her friends giggled.

"Hi there sweetie, I'm Megan! Didn't catch you this morning?" She said, mock sweetness tainting her voice. Marina sighed, her pale face flushing at the cheeks a little.

"I made my way around." She retorted quietly, obviously thinking of my warning earlier today.