Prologue

{Author's POV}

In the year 1519, on the West side of Seville, Spain. A trio made of two con men named Miguel and Tulio, and a teenage tambourine player Sophia resided together. She wasn't originally from Spain, she was actually born in Norway. But her family had a tradition to travel every so often, and this was her first time.

Unfortunately, after a horrible accident, the poor youth got separated from her family. And that's when she met the duo of con men, and they took her under their wings.

It's been almost a month since they met, and they've had no luck finding her parents, but they've managed to make it.

Sophia made money off of playing on street corners for coins with a tambourine while Miguel played flamenco styled music for her on a lute. (Like Esmeralda) On the other hand, with the boys, their backstory is yet to be deciphered.

But they all stuck together through the past month. As for now, Sophia watched as her two partners gambled against a group of sailors.

Sophia decided to stay on the side lines, because 1) She had sworn off gambling when she was maybe nine, and 2) To make things worse.... They were using loaded dice.

However, she had worn herself out earlier that morning, so she had nothing better to do, except watch. And, if she was being honest... It was quite amusing.

{Sophia's POV}

I sat on top of a barrel with my arms crossed and my right leg over the left, as I watched the boys cheer in victory, with a smile on my face as I fiddled with the leather strap of my satchel.

I've only know Miguel and Tulio for a month and 2 weeks.... But if anything were to happen to them, I'd probably kill everyone in the vicinity, and then myself.... Nah, I'm just joking, but really.

Those guys are some of the closest friends I've ever had. (Even though they're adults and she's literally a pre-teen)

"Seven!" "Alright!" I heard them shout as they rolled their red and white dice and, obviously, it landed a perfect seven. How we landed into the possession of a pair of loaded dice, it's a really long story, which I'm kinda too tired to tell.

Miguel strummed his loot as they sang that little chant they apparently came up with as kids, which makes me wonder just at what age did they start gambling. A large shout caught mine and the boys attention.

"One more roll!" the sailor guy said to the boys. I giggled under my breath, knowing it was pointless for him to suggest that. Miguel and Tulio exchanged a look as the blonde plucked a couple chords on his guitar. "Uh, guys... You're broke! You've got nothing to bet with!" Tulio pointed out, exclaiming as he rubbed his fingers together.

The sailors they were betting against looked at each other, before the big guy reached into his pocket. "Oh, yeah? I've got this." he said as he unfurled what appeared to be a map, which made me sit up straight.

Tulio just scoffed, "A map?" he asked, rhetorically and unamused, while Miguel lightly shoved him out of the way to get a better look at the map. "A map?!" he asked enthusiastically. My eyes widened as I got up and peeked in, curious myself. "A map of the wonders of the new world." the sailor said, intriguing me even further. "Whoa." I whispered in awe.

Tulio just scoffed and stood aside. "Wow! Let's have a look!" Miguel said as he tugged on Tulio's shirt and got closer to get a better look at the map. I stared as Miguel darted his finger around the map, muttering indistinctly, before snatching the map away from the sailor's hands and bringing it closer to us.