Chapter Two

It took a while, but eventually the teachers ushered the students into the classrooms and left Sarah and Kim to do their work. Only Mr. Samuels stayed with them to watch them solve the case. When he wasn't looking, Kim began dancing on the spot, almost grinning.

"Why the happy face?" demanded Sarah curiously.

Immediately, Kim stopped dancing. "Because we get to solve a real mystery," she replied, "and, no more annoyance?"

"Is that even a word?" asked Sarah. Kim just shrugged.

They began putting on latex gloves. Sarah checked Eddie's wrist for a pulse but felt nothing. While she was doing this, Kim examined the stab wound.

"This happened approximately an hour ago," Kim was saying. "From the angle of the wound, it was someone left-handed."

"How do you know they didn't just use their left hand when they were actually right-handed?" asked Mr. Samuels, who was peering over their shoulders.

"The wound would've been more-" Kim hesitated, searching for the right words. "More sloppy. This was a clean wound."

As Kim was talking, Sarah jotted down notes in a small notebook. She frowned. "The security was upgraded last month, right?" she asked slowly. Mr. Samuels nodded. "Then how did the killer enter the school?"

"A fault?" suggested Kim.

"No, It was top quality," replied Mr. Samuels. "I'll send Mr. Bills to go check the perimetre, nonetheless." He walked towards room 209.

"Mr. Samuels is right," Sarah said in awe. Kim waited. "The killer couldn't have broke in, someone in the school is the killer!"

"What?" said Kim. "Who do you think it was?"

"I dunno, but I guess it's time for questioning the suspects. We have survalence cameras here and here," she said, pointing out the two cameras. "If the murder happened an hour ago, we will be able to rewind them and see who was where and limit our suspects to a few."

Kim nodded and continued to examine the victim while Sarah went to the camera room. Mr. Samuels had finished talking to Mr. Bills and went with her. The camera room had twenty screens, each showing a different place in the school. Mr. Samuels winded the cameras an hour behind, to half past nine.

The screens showed various angles of the dance. Sarah scanned the screens. She could see she and Kim talking, students dancing, but couldn't see Eddie in any of the screens. There was no camera pointing towards where the body was found, so they couldn't say directly who it was. She flicked the cameras to half an hour back. There was Eddie talking with five students.

Sarah flipped her notebook open and began writing five names down. Teddy, Penny, William, Sally, and Sydeny. The last students seen with him.

Without warning, the cameras shut down. After a few seconds they lit up again, showing present time. Upon trying to rewind them, the word 'ERROR' appeared. All past data had been erased.

"Darn it!" exclaimed Sarah furiously.

"At least you have those five names," said Mr. Samuels hopefully.

Sarah nodded and looked to the cameras again. She could see Kim walking from the side of the school. She was scribbling into her notebook and walking slowly in circles. Sarah decided to leave her to it and collect her suspects.

She entered room 209, where all of the students were, and asked for Teddy, Penny, William, Sally, and Sydney. They all hesitantly stood up and waked towards the door.

"Now," said Sarah, "to do this properly, I will have to question you one by one." She led them into room 208 and gestured for them to sit. "You five were the last students seen with Eddie approximately an hour and a half ago. When the murder occured. The cameras erased the evidence, so you five are the only suspects so far." All five students groaned. "Teddy, come with me to room 211. The rest of you," she said, eyeing them all, "stay here."

She stalked out of the room, Teddy following.