05- Pistachio, Chocolate Chip, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Caramel

I'm heading back to the hotel where Lance and Holly are waiting for me to arrive. They went back to the hotel because Holly wanted to go swimming at the hotel's pool after we had our breakfast, at least something's keeping her mind away from my father's death. Lance stayed behind to watch over her while I went out to talk to my father's lawyers and insurance agent.

They're at the room finishing up and I think they're on their way down so I decide not to go up anymore and just wait at the lobby. I make my way to where the couches are at, too busy reading the funeral home's pamphlet about cremation that I don't see where I'm at and bump into someone. Our collision makes me stop reading and lift my eyes from the paper.

"Ms Claire."

"Johnson?" I ask bewildered. "What are you doing here? Please tell me you're not following me."

Johnson shakes his head. "No, actually I'm here for Mr Larkin." He motions his head to the reception desk just as when Alec steps out of one of the doors behind the desk and he sees me. I turn my direction to the hotel's name and logo that's mounted on the wall behind the desk, then I turn back to George.

"Shit." I curse under my breath and shake my head. I can't believe it. How on earth did I forget that he was born to a family that probably owned half the city and owned the hotel we were staying at? Instead of taking a seat on one of the vacant couches, I start to walk briskly to the elevators but before I'm even halfway there, Alec catches up with me and stops me from taking another step when he grabs a hold of my arm.

"Claire, can we talk" He asks quietly, his voice deep and rough and it sounds like as if he was begging. "Please."

"There's nothing to talk about." I respond quickly, not wanting to prolong this communication any more. "Please, Claire." He pleads again, his voice still hushed and his hand still holding on to my arm.

I turn to look at him and I can see through his eyes that this seemed important to him that we were to talk. I take a couple of seconds to make my decision, and yet I still contemplate on it when I reply to him, "Fine, but it better not be long. Holly and Lance are going down to meet me."

Alec lets out a clipped sigh and nods, letting go of my arm once he I agreed. "Can we talk in private?"

It was my turn to let out a breath and I motion my hand for him to lead the way. He gives me nod and gestures his head to follow him and I do. He heads straight for the door he just came out from, the one behind the reception desk. I grab my phone from my hand bag and sent a short quick text to Lance that I'd be at the lobby in around five to ten minutes.

Alec opens the door and there's two women and a man wearing the hotel's uniform and I'm taking a guess that they're the managers of the hotel and they were either in a meeting or finishing one up. They took a look at me then at Alec. He says nothing but turns sideways so that he doesn't block the door, indicating for them to leave. The three get the message and gather their items quickly before leaving the room and closing the door behind them leaving Alec and I alone for the first time in a very long time.

He clears his throat to relieve the tension that lingering in the atmosphere and speaks first. "Claire, I want to apologize for what I said earlier at the airport." He says and gives me sheepish smile, scratching the back of his neck. "I was an asshole I know, but you need to know that I didn't mean any of the words I said. I'm sorry."

"Alright." I give him a nod. "Is that all?"

"No," he shakes his head. "I feel really terrible for what I said to you. Let me make it up, okay? Your stay here is on me. Your plane tickets, everything."

"We already paid for our stay, and for our tickets going back." I tell him and I can see disappoint cross his eyes and I try to brush off the feeling that's itching on me to just accept whatever he offers to make him happy.