Chapter 7: Take Me Home

The bell rings and the students all start to chatter away, ignoring the last bits of information the teacher tries to throw in as they scramble for their bags. The teacher just sighs, not bothering to continue as the children begin to file out of the building, excited for the weekend and all its new adventures. 

Cole is the last one to pack his bags. He slowly stuffs his worksheets and pencils into the backpack, eyes sad as he throws it over his shoulder and walks out the door. His finger plays with a coin, Connor's coin, as he trudges slowly down the hall, shoulders drooping and head hanging low. He always dreads the end of the school day. Always hates seeing all the students run up excitedly to the androids that had come to take them home.

Even after Markus had won the revolution two weeks ago and attained freedom for the androids some chose to remain with their owners. After all, not all the humans had treated their androids poorly. The humans that didn't were happy to see their androids return home and had welcomed them back with open arms. Cole only wishes he could say the same.

He walks out the door, staring down at the coin rolling across his knuckles as the other children run past him, calling out the names of their androids or parents as they dash towards the front gate. Cole doesn't look up as he heads out the door, doesn't even look when he hears someone call his name. He just keeps walking, keeping his focus on the coin moving across his knuckles until someone bumps into him from behind, knocking the coin from his hand.

"Oops, sorry!" the girl says before rushing past him and into the arms of her android.

Cole doesn't have the time to be angry, doesn't even acknowledge the apology as his eyes start searching the ground for the coin. He can't have lost it. He can't. That was Connor's coin. The coin the android always fiddled with, the one that reminded Cole of everything that happened. He can't lose it. He just can't!

"I think you dropped this."

Cole turns, eyes wide as he finds Connor standing behind him, a smile on his face as he holds the coin out to him. The android looks to be as good as new. He's wearing his usual uniform, as clean and proper as always. His hair is neatly combed back save for the single loose strand that never stays put. The bullet wounds are gone, much to Cole's relief, but despite the sight in front of him he can't believe what he sees. He rubs his eyes, wondering if perhaps he's hallucinating only to find Connor still there. Still smiling at him with the coin in his hand.

"I promised I'd come back," the android says, crouching down beside the boy to deposit the coin in his palm. "And I see you made progress on those coin tricks."

Cole has to fight the tears that threaten to spill from his eyes. He wipes at them with his coat sleeve, hoping that no one around him can see, but when Connor moves to wrap his arms around him the dam breaks. The tears come down. They continue to come even as people begin to stare, but at this point Cole doesn't care. He's just happy to have the android back with him, happy to have Connor back alive and well.

Cole leaps into Connor's arms, refusing to let go even as the android gets to his feet, holding the boy in his arms as he pats Cole on the back. Cole buries his face into Connor's shoulder, hands clutching tightly at the detective's suit as Connor carries him over to Hank's car. Cole glances up just long enough to see Hank leaning against the car door, a soft smile on his face as he opens up the door to help them in. He doesn't pay attention to the explanation Hank gives him about Connor's return. All he hears are snippets of words. Something about a Kamski and memory uploads. Whatever it is Cole doesn't care. All he cares about is that Connor is home and hopefully is here to stay for a long time to come.