Chapter 5

"Move out of the way, little girl." I'm crying as they lift the stretcher into the ambulance. "Mike!" I scream. I'm sitting there sobbing on the ground, when I feel someone pick me up and hug me. I turn around and there's Jake. I hug him and cry into his shoulder. I see Jake cry for the first time.

"Taylor." I feel someone shaking me. I sit up and see Jake's worried face. Then I look at the clock. It's 2 AM.

"I'm so sorry I woke you up." I say to Jake. All he does is stare at me. I bring a hand to my face and its wet. I was crying.

"Does this happen a lot?" Jake asks. I nod. Then I turn over, too embarrassed to look at him. Jake kisses my head and holds onto me, like his life depended on it.

*************

I wake up and feel someone's presence. Jake's arm is draped over me, his chest against my back. I turn over and face him. Seeing that he is still asleep, I try to stand up. But since I'm on the inside, I end up falling on Jake. He lets out an oomph. And then we both fall off my bed, me landing on him.

"You weigh a ton." I say, laughing at him when he opens his eyes.

"You're the one on me." Jake says, grunting. I roll off him and onto the floor. He's shirtless and in just a pair of shorts.

"I'm gonna take a shower." I say, standing up.

"Good. You stink." He says, one eye open and the other shut.

"You're one to talk." I retort, laughing. I walk out of my room and into the bathroom. I take a 5 minute shower. When I get out, I realize that I forgot my clothes. Oh well, it's just Jake. I walk into my room, with just a towel.

No one is in there. I quickly put on a random shirt, jean shorts, and my sneakers. Then I run downstairs. I see Jake in the kitchen.

"Oh Jake, there you..." I say, trailing off. He's still shirtless and in boxers, but there's someone with him. It's my dad. And Jake looks uncomfortable.

"Taylor. This is how you live now that I'm not here? You just go around sleeping with guys since I've been  gone!!" My dad yells.

"Hell, no! Dad, I have no idea why the hell you are here. And I really want you to leave because you don't live here anymore. And honestly, I'm offended at the fact that you just called me a fucking slut." I yell at him.

"I'll get out but that doesn't explain why there was a shirtless guy who answered the door." He says, waiting for an explanation.

"Dad!! This is Jake!! As in Jake Westveiw. My best friend. The guy who I have always had sleepovers with." I yell.

"You can, uh, go take a shower if you want." I say to Jake. He nods and walks upstairs. For once, my dad is speechless. Then without a word, he walks out of the house, slamming the door behind him. I get out 2 apples and 4 breakfast bars. Jake walks downstairs with just a towel. I stare at him. He grins when he sees me looking.

"I left my clothes down here." He explains.

Right. I look away. He walks into the living room and gets dressed, right there. I start laughing.

"I can't believe you, Jake. You do realize that my dad could've still been here, right?" I ask, laughing harder. He freezes.

"Oh well." He says, smiling. "Here your breakfast." I say, handing him 2 bars and and apple. "Thanks." He says. We eat in silence together.

"What'd my dad say to you?" I ask.

"Um well. He told me that he was going to kick my ass for sleeping with you. Which I explained that we only do that every other night and last night was not that night." He says.

"Oh my god. Jake. Are you serious?" I screech.

"No. I just told him that my dad was a dick like him so I slept here last night. I told him that I do most nights." He laughs.

"Do not. Oh my god. I almost had a heart attack." I punch him.

"Geez. I was only joking." He grins.

"Shut up and eat." I glare at him. I go back upstairs and grab my football bag as well as my regular school bag. I grab Jake's keys from the counter and walk outside to his truck. About three minutes later, Jake comes out too.

"You could've waited." He says, grabbing his keys.

"Oh well." I smile. He just rolls his eyes and backs out.