Chapter 3

~Before I wake~

      Chapter3

               Arden jabbed an elbow into the man's stomach, and slammed a heel down on his foot. He let out a grunt and threw his weight against her, pinning her to the door.

    She would atleast leave a mark on him. Something for the police to see, to question. She reached up to rake her nails down his face. She would scar him.

     His next words stopped her.

     "I'm FBI," he said through gritted teeth, his voice edged with pain. "FBI."

     A chill moved up her. " Show me your

ID."

      He remained pressed against her. While her heart thundered in her chest, she heard and felt him fiddling with his jacket. Suddenly something was slapped against the door above her head. A leather ID folder. The kind she use to carry.

       She could barely make out the logo. She couldn't distinguish his photo or name. " I can't see it." But she knew he was telling the truth.

        "You've seen enough." He released her and stepped back, returning the case to his jacket. 

      Her legs were weak. She collapsed in the chair, her heart continuing to race.

       "Why didn't you just tell me who you were?" She struggled to appear outward cool. "Why did you trick me into thinking you were interested in me?"

    "I told you the truth. I wanted to talk. In private."

    " Oh, come on. you plied me with drinks."

    He let out a laugh. " Plied?"

   She should have known he was FBI. It couldn't have been more obvious. "I have nothing to say to you or anyone from the Bureau."

     He dropped into the seat across from her. "We want you back, Arden."

     The way he said her name gave her a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach.

    How had things suddenly taken such a turn? " Who are you?" she asked as she stared hard at his undefined shape, unable to make out any features. She reached up and turned on the light attached to the table.

     Sharp angles. That prematurely gray hair. Blue, blue eyes.

      "Just think of me as a relatibe," he said. "Uncle Sam. Your friendly recruiting

officer."

       "I'm done with the Bureau."  First they came for Harley; now they were coming for her.

      She had no logical reason for the terror and unease that gripped her, but she knew she couldnt go back.

       "They aren't done with you."

        Was he someone she'd once known?

        The FBI liked to play little games. and secrecy for the sake of secrecy seemed to top their list.

         you could have known him once.

         Had she?

        Maybe. maybe not.

   Her mind had been adjusted. Tampered with. Erased.

        "We just want you back," he said calmly, practically.