Chapter 2

Two Oceans in between us {Anne and Gilbert}

Anne's POV

An Ideal situation has to start off with a right beginning. And that was something that most certainly wasn't happening. It was nearly dawn and I haven't slept at all. Between the Gilbert situation and the letter to Cole, my mind is like a bunch of knots tied together. I squished my eyebrows together, only focusing on the book in front of me. Gilbert Blythe was a sweet boy to some, but to me he was nothing more then a friend with competition. I smirked at how much progress I made, two books in two hours. At least I think its been two hours... I hurried out of bed and glanced out the window, watching the sun rise from the dept of the world, though it looked like it was rising out of the ground. I shrugged it off and threw on the brown dress I wore of last night, It wasn't dirty. I laced up my boots before grabbing my bag and heading for the door. When Marilla sees I woke up early, she'll be presently surprised I already started the tea. At least this morning I have time to eat. The kettle rose with steam as I gently placed it atop of the stove. 

"Anne?" I turned to the left to see no other then Jerry walk in, his hat pulled low on his small head. I smiled and began to poor the tea carefully into the cups, making sure it didn't rise to low or too high.

"Care for some tea?" I questioned. I honestly felt like a maid, serving the prince. I laughed a little to think that Jerry would be a prince. But I suppose he'd be a quite strange one. Jerry took a step back and opened the door leading outside.

"No thanks, I've got better things to do." I rolled my eyes at his comment, taking some tea for myself, placing in one scoop of sugar. I wonder how Marilla will act when she sees the women I'm becoming, even though I'm still 14. After finding out I started my cycle I feel as if I'm stronger, even though I'm most certainly not. The sounds of footsteps sounded from outside. What does Jerry want now? The door opened to show no other then Gilbert Blythe, curly hair and all. I nearly dropped my tea as I quickly walked over to place it on the table. I watched as he placed his hat on the rack, not moving from that position.

"Hello, Anne." He said, his voice confident but soft. I shifted forward and grabbed my bag, placing it around my shoulder. I let out a cough before speaking.

"Gilbert?" Was all I could manage to say. I was surprised he actually came here. He walked in further, stopping when he reached the oven.

"I was just stopping by to say thank you. Sebastian told me about last night, and how you dropped off the wood. I honestly didn't think you were going to do it." His voice trailed off, his eyes were staring into mine for a quick second before I broke it off, shifting to look in another direction.

"Why would you say that?" I asked, honestly curious. Gilbert folded his arms together, he looked more frigidity then normal. 

"Guess I thought I upset you yesterday... sorry." His words were apathetic, which made my heart skip a beat. Gilbert Blythe feeling sympathy for me? It was honestly nothing, he would of done the same for me. I shrugged it off and took another sip of tea, eyeing him carefully as he glanced around the room. 

"What? No. And it was true, I am way ahead of you. Guess that dictionary you gave me for Christmas payed off." My voice trailed off. The memory was if it was just yesterday. My hair was all cut off then, when he gave it to me. I couldn't stop myself from smiling, I stayed up to read it all night. Christmas was good last year, meeting Sebastian was amazing too. Most likely the first colored man I've ever met.